Usenet servers not loading headers the same rate

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Usenet servers not loading headers the same rate

Postby eclapwannabe » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:36 am

I use two servers I have an unlimited account with The Cubenet and a block account with Astraweb.

The problems do not present themselves unless I am adding a newsgroup that has multiple million headers
Should I name the newsgroup?

This newsgroup has 118 million plus headers. When I click on that group to add astraweb goes like gang busters and starts downloading headers instantly. There is usually about a 2 minute delay before The Cubenet kicks in. It took about 50 minutes to load all the headers for astraweb. I will be dead before The cubenet gets finished downloading all the headers.

I have changed the port setting three or four times thinking that would help with the downloads. Things go fast for the first 500 to 700 k headers and then by the time it gets to around 14-15 mil it slows down to a turtle pace.

Is my spooler for that newsgroup corrupt. Is something wrong with the program overall?

When Cubenet starts downloading the headers it is at the 15 MBps but as the header numbers increase it goes down to 1.6 MBps.
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/20/12

Re: Usenet servers not loading headers the same rate

Postby Quade » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:43 am

Both servers use the same database so, if it was corrupt, it would be corrupt for both. Besides, headers aren't downloaded to the DB. They're downloaded to an intermediate file in the "Import" folder then these get processed in the background into the DB.

I'd say it's a server issue. Not all servers can deliver headers at the same speed. Not all servers support header compression. AW supports header compression meaning their headers will download up to 10 times faster than a server which doesn't support it.

If you're satisfied with the headers from AW you don't need the headers from the other server. One reason the headers are in a common database is that the headers from one server can be used on any number of other servers.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Usenet servers not loading headers the same rate

Postby eclapwannabe » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:11 pm

I think I have figured out what I have done wrong as far as the other headers slowing down after initial burst of speed. My concern is that astraweb has huge holes in there headers. Reliability for TCN is much better than astraweb. So cubenet would work off the headers of astraweb. Okay

I know ssl is better but all of a sudden the SSL web address is not working for TCN. So I had to go back and use there unsecured address. With all things being equal at this point I think Norton is blocking the secured port 563. I did a netstat -an check for my computer and I never saw port 563 but I did see Tcp port 80 so I may try that. The funny thing is that it was working up until about 2 months ago then it stopped working. These things do not rear there ugly heads until I am adding a new group.

The SSL for astraweb works fine but it's default port is 443 which I see per netstat. I thought it maybe a Norton problem so I temporary turned off stealth port blocking but it made no difference it still did not download the headers.
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/20/12

Return to V6 Technical Support