Spam Filter in 6.62, etc.

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Spam Filter in 6.62, etc.

Postby RangerXus » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:48 pm

I just upgraded NewBin Pro to 6.62 and I have a couple of questions:

1) When do the Spam filters under Spam Filter Settings do their work? In other words, when I download headers from my usenet provider, does the spam filters stop matching headers from being stored in that group's data store on my computer, or are all headers always downloaded and the Spam Filters just automatically filter headers considered Spam from ever displaying?
- I'm guessing that for password encrypted Rars, Rars with Zips embedded, etc. that this occurs during downloading of the file since there is no way NewsBin would know until then. But for Spam itself... abusive posters, excessive Xcross posting, etc. I'm not sure. Can you give a hint on what is considered Spam by the Spam filter?

2) I set up a Watch List using Header Download but it never activated automatically. I could manually sync it, but I never saw the timer (set to 60 minutes) kick off and have it update automatically. I did have new headers downloaded so the Watch List would have new hits.
- When the Watch List runs, does it clear any results from the previous run and show only results from the current search, or does it combine previous with current results?
- Also, as other have suggested, it would be nice to be able to set the default number of days to search (always defaults to 30) especially when searching Header Download.

Newsbin Pro is still a great binary News Reader. This version seems faster and more reliable. Thanks
RangerXus
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/07/09

Re: Spam Filter in 6.62, etc.

Postby Quade » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:51 pm

1 - The spam filters have no impact on headers at all. For headers, they only come into play when you try to download the files.

Newsbin Search on the other hand obeys the spam filters so, you can hide spam and encrypted search results.

2 - Header based watch lists fill when you download headers. If you want them to fill automatically you need to tell Newsbin to update headers automatically. "Automatic Update Mode" is how you tell it to download headers automatically. "Automatic Search Interval" is used for Newsbin search based searches.

- When the Watch List runs, does it clear any results from the previous run and show only results from the current search, or does it combine previous with current results?
- Also, as other have suggested, it would be nice to be able to set the default number of days to search (always defaults to 30) especially when searching Header Download.

Header based watches do no searching. They just collect results out of newly downloaded headers. Old headers never change. Once you've done a single 3000 day search manually, you never have to do it again because the old headers are unchanging.

Search based watches just return results since the last time the search was run.

In both cases, the results accumulate.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support