Ctrl-R problems

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Ctrl-R problems

Postby okcvet » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:33 am

I'm running v6.62RC2 Build 4356 on Windows 10 Pro and when I try to read the info on a rar set by hitting Control-R I have some strange behavior. The very first time I try to read a set it works as it should. The second and all the tries after will download the info but will not bring up notepad to actually read the file. To actually read the file I have to go to file explorer open the folder and double click the file to read it. If I close NB and re-start the behavior will start over again. This has been happening for a long time. I have not tried a new install because of fear of losing all my settings. (Hint: If I could re-install without losing all my settings, I would try that).

The other thing that just bugs me is that the file count is twice the actual count. That is if the group show 12 new files, when you open the group it will be actually 6 new files. This is a minor issuse but one that should be very easy to solve.
okcvet
n00b
n00b

Re: Ctrl-R problems

Postby Quade » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:54 pm

What happens if you go into the "Read Posts" folder and delete the text file in between each Ctrl-R?

Do they all end up with the same filename?

I'm not suggesting this as a solution, just as a trouble-shooting step.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby okcvet » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:18 am

No they will each have the proper name, and yes I do delete them in between each read.
okcvet
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:43 pm

I'm asking you to Ctrl-R once, then delete the resulting text file from the "Read Posts" folder then do another Ctrl-R and see if Notepad shows the new one or the old one.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby okcvet » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:34 am

Yes sir, that is exactly what I do. May I also add that the behavior is the same across multiple groups. In other words if I hit Ctrl-R in group A for the first time it will open Notepad and read the file. If I delete that post in the Read Post directory, and hit Ctrl-R on a post in group B it will not open in Notepad. I then try a third post in group C, and I get the same behavior. So it doesn't matter if it is the same group or different ones. The first read works and the second and subsequent reads do not.
okcvet
n00b
n00b

Postby okcvet » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:48 am

One more quick thought. If I don't delete the first post info then the second read post will bring up the first post in Notepad.
okcvet
n00b
n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support