Download speed problems - too fast!

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Download speed problems - too fast!

Postby alad26 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:02 am

I'm using a broadband connection of at least 100 mb but have found that downloading using newsbin hogs all the network and nothing else will download, not even emails. So I've set newsbin to download at half speed using the settings in "network" and then clicking on the speed limit button in the bottom right bar. Recently this button has come "unstuck" after a minute or so of downloading and reverts to full speed. Anyone have any idea why? And is there a way of automatically starting in reduced speed mode?

Also, if anyone can tell me why newsbin takes over my network that would also be helpful - I'm assuming it's a network problem rather than an issue with neswbin, as it also happens with Newshosting's newsreader. My pc should be up to it i5, 16mb ddr 3, ssd drive, windows 10 (it also affects all the other pcs on the network) and the router I use is a Belkin ac1800, via a Virgin fast hub modem.
alad26
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/13/10

Re: Download speed problems - too fast!

Postby Quade » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:27 am

How many connections are you using? I'd cut back connections in Newsbin to promote network sharing. I have 100 Mbps here too and running full speed Newsbin and my email seem to share just fine. Maybe your upstream is slower?

This might be security software related too. You might make it ignore Newsbin's download connections.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Download speed problems - too fast!

Postby JayPea » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:57 am

Try looking into your router management page for any QOS settings and then set your NNTP traffic so it has a lower priority. Then you can still saturate your bandwidth when it isn't needed for any other task (browsing, email, etc). Win/win.
JayPea
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/11/06

Return to V6 Technical Support