Newsbin 6.54 Over rides my Commands and wastes downloads

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Newsbin 6.54 Over rides my Commands and wastes downloads

Postby Name Goes Here » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:03 am

Trying to download a large multipart rar file. Newbin refused to download it claiming "Spam, rar contents seem to be bogus." I didn't think so and wanted to risk downloading it to see for myself. So I chose to download, bypass filters. So it downloaded the complete large file and put all the parts directly into the recycle bin. I went to the recycle bin and highlighted the parts and chose "restore." The parts disappeared from the recycle bin, but did not show up in the original folder. So where is my large download, and why is it so impossible for me to see for myself if a file is bogus spam or not?
Name Goes Here
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/13/05

Re: Newsbin 6.54 Over rides my Commands and wastes downloads

Postby Quade » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:34 am

If they went into the recycle bin, it means Newsbin probably already unrared the file. So whatever was in the RAR file is sitting in your unrar folder.

As for why restoring it doesn't restore them. I don't know. I've restored rars from the recycle bin before. You might want to check your virus scanner and see if it moved them.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Name Goes Here » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:24 am

OK, mystery solved. When I first selected the file to download I chose a specific path to a new folder that I created for that download (as I always do). When I had to force Newsbin to download and bypass filters it didn't send the download to my selected folder, it sent it to the default download folder which I NEVER use. I never thought to look there. It would be nice if you could code Newsbin to offer a choice of destinations or at least default to the previously chosen destination for a particular file when using the bypass filters option.

This particular download was not spam by the way. It was exactly what it was supposed to be and did not contain any executables or rars within the rar or anything unusual. I can't imagine why it would be considered a bogus post.
Name Goes Here
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:25 am

Most of the time false positives happen when a file is one type but claims to be another. 6.62 address false positives.

I'd probably give the most current beta a try. Build 4337.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Name Goes Here » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:54 pm

OK, thanks.

BTW, the rar contained files within folders, so that is probably what caused the issue.
Name Goes Here
Active Participant
Active Participant

Return to V6 Technical Support