Downloading pauses during UnRAR- even though that's disabled

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Downloading pauses during UnRAR- even though that's disabled

Postby jsabo » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:31 am

6.60, build 4163, 64 bit, Windows 10

Under Options/Settings/Performance, "Pause Download during UnRAR/Repair" is NOT CHECKED, however, downloads are still pausing.

For kicks, I've tried turning this on, but it has no effect-- no matter how I set this, the download pauses when UnRARing occurs.

Any fixes? This is seriously slowing down performance.
jsabo
n00b
n00b

Re: Downloading pauses during UnRAR- even though that's disa

Postby itimpi » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:48 pm

What is the value for free cache entries in the status bar? Downloading will stop when you run out of free cache entries whatever the value of that setting. It is possible to increase the size of the cache (at the cost of using more RAM) but you can still run out.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby jsabo » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:10 am

Mixed results-- the cache was originally only 200, so I kicked it up to 2000.

Now it looks like the download is sort of still going, but at a significantly lower speed-- we're talking going from 300Mbps to 30, and the display isn't updating-- the only indication that something's going on is that I see network activity in task manager, and when the unrar finishes, the progress bar and number of bytes downloaded suddenly jumps.

At the same time, I'm seeing "closing dirty connection" errors for the first time ever.

I'm not clear at this point if it's an issue with Windows 10, Newsbin, the network adapter, or some combination of all three- Windows 10 doesn't correctly support the on-board network card, so I'm currently using a USB 2.0 network adapter, and I suspect that when it's unraring to the NAS, I'm overloading the connection, hence the drop in download bandwidth.

I don't remember if I was having this issue with Windows 7 or not- I'm pretty sure I upgraded Newsbin before upgrading the OS, but I'm not certain, that I stacked up downloads like this before.

I may try dropping a USB 3.0 card in the machine to see if it makes a difference (the network adapter is 3.0), but I need to remove the second video card to free a slot, and I'm not sure how much I want to screw around with this-- I may try downgrading back to 7, and try again in a few months when the drivers are more mature.

Thanks for the tip, at least I'm getting *some* better performance now.
jsabo
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:25 am

Now it looks like the download is sort of still going, but at a significantly lower speed-- we're talking going from 300Mbps to 30, and the display isn't updating-- the only indication that something's going on is that I see network activity in task manager, and when the unrar finishes, the progress bar and number of bytes downloaded suddenly jumps.

When it's unraring/repairing, it's downloading to RAM so it should still be full speed. It'll download till the cache runs out though so, once it hits zero the download stops. I still get full speed downloads while unraring because it's not going to disk.

I'm actually amazed that you can get anywhere close to 300 Mbps with USB Ethernet adapters. They're crippled compared to on motherboard cards.

Dirty connections errors aren't that unusual as long as they don't happen very often. Let me clarify and say they're not unusual for Astraweb. I never get them to Giga.

I was talking to Dex about this situation. There's a real reason the downloads are stalled when the cache runs out and that's because before this, the downloads would get way ahead of the unrar which worked out to be more unreliable. It means restarts were very expensive an error prone too. Downloading and unraring at the same some triples unrar time too.

I do think I might have an idea about how to permit the download to continue while not running too far ahead of the unrar. It would mean downloading the chunks and letting them get ahead but not assembling files till after the unrar finished. So basically it would be like using the disk drive as part of the cache when the cache fills up. It solves the restart problem and get ahead of unrar problem. Your unrars will still be made much slower. Maybe with SSD this is less of an issue today.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby espalmer67 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:36 am

I too have noticed this behavior since the Windows 10 "upgrade". Use to be able to d/l a large file while another unpar'ed without any issues. Does seriously slow me down.

I also have checked/unchecked the pause in the high powered pc section with no joy (AMD 8350, 32 gb)
espalmer67
n00b
n00b

Postby Downloadski » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:41 am

I have this also under windows 10 and 6.61
As for the buffers, 4000 setup, and 0/4000 used while unrarring.

I do full movie rips, and download time is like 6-12 minutes (25/50GB) at 545 mbps
Unrar is faster as it runs from SSD to SSD here (350 MB/sec), but repair could run longer, so i see the issue there with letting it continue to download while still doing long repair job. (my download SSD is only 240 GB so that could run full during repair which would take to long)

As for the setting under: Options/Settings/Performance, "Pause Download during UnRAR/Repair"
I do not seem to have that one. Where would i find that ?
Downloadski
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:28 pm

The setting won't help you here. You could revert to a version that did simultaneous unrar/download or wait till I get it back into Newsbin. It won't be in 6.62. The changes are too large.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Downloadski » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:56 am

I reverted back to 6.56 build 3339 and that does keep on downloading while par/unrar
Downloadski
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support