Resolution to difficulty in entering destination folders

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Resolution to difficulty in entering destination folders

Postby megalomando » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:13 am

Using NZB to select my preferred target to download from, I usually I select the file to download, right click and select "Download to existing folder..." and at this point I create a sub folder to deposit into. I have been doing this for years and all has been fine in that I can type or post a title for the file and then click save and all goes as planned.

For several months I have not been able to type or paste easily into the desired download folder. This started when I began using my laptop to host Newsbin. I would get to the point of typing in a name and before I was done, the letters I had entered would highlight and disappear. If I did not pay attention, the first part of what I typed would disappear and all that would remain would be the last part of the title I typed and then that would immediately disappear if I didn't hurry. - When I would prepare for this and have the title in clipboard and paste the title to hit save, I also had to hurry to click save or it would do the above. It was like someone had control of my desktop when using Newsbin, nothing else acted this way. Virus checks and exploit checks all came up negative.

This laptop does not have a large drive C so I save into one of two drives, one a "My Passport Ultra", usually connected to the Laptops USB and the other, on the network on a different computer. It seems to takes a short while to handshake to the network drives wirelessly from the laptop. Since I am usually saving to the remote drive, that is where I had set up the default download folder with this laptop.

Key is I would often get pop-up notices that Newsbin could not access the download folder (which was directed to the remote drive but was a folder I had selected as default in settings). I ignored that message because I always have to select a specific folder and there was never any particular folder I usually download to anyway but it was almost never a location on this C drive. So to get the warning notice to stop, I selected a folder on my C drive, knowing I would never download there but it would placate Newsbin to do so and stop that notice. Immediately upon doing that, the issue with the letters highlighting and then disappearing while naming a folder to download to, stopped.

Apparently in some way, not having an immediately accessible default download drive established in settings for Newsbin to always sense, caused this problem. Since making the default download directory to one established on the C drive which I never save to, but continue to save to a drive elsewhere, has resolved the issue 100%

Hopefully this post helps someone.
megalomando
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/09/04

Re: Resolution to difficulty in entering destination folders

Postby Quade » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:24 am

Good information. I'm trying to imagine how that failure mode happens. Wonder if it's related to the error message popup window?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Resolution to difficulty in entering destination folders

Postby megalomando » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:38 am

I'm thinking it must be. The issue resolved immediately and I didn't even have to restart the program to find the correction.
megalomando
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/09/04

Return to V6 Technical Support