[v6.61 build 4309] Adding files from NZB results in 0KB

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

[v6.61 build 4309] Adding files from NZB results in 0KB

Postby Wildfire » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:26 am

I've noticed that in v6.61 build 4309 that adding files from NZB-files doesn't always seem to work properly.

When I add the files from an NZB, they will sometimes get added to the downloadlist only saying 0KB. If I add them again, then NewsBin Pro picks up what it needs and the downloadlist is then correct again.

Unfortunately enough, it's not something I can easily reproduce -- it seems to happen at random.

When it happens again, I'll grab a screenshot to show you.

-- Edit: aha! Already an update... It just happened again and this time, I let NewsBin Pro continue to try and download it (previously, I'd add the files again so the list would show correctly). Apparently, it's a cosmetic issue. As soon as NewsBin Pro gets to the supposed 0KB listing, it then adjusts the size to the correct size and starts downloading without any issues.

So it's a cosmetic issue, it does not break downloading at all.
Wildfire
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/12/03

Re: [v6.61 build 4309] Adding files from NZB results in 0KB

Postby Quade » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:51 am

Yeah good to hear. Newsbin depends on the NZB contents for sizing information. It's possible with some NZB's aren't telling me what I want and then when it works to download, Newsbin recalculates the size. I'll have to keep my eyes open.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Wildfire » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:27 pm

The NZB's are all from the same NZB website. So I assume the file structure would be same for every NZB generated.

I'll try to find some NZB's which show this problem and some which don't. I can then send them to you if you require them.
Wildfire
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Wildfire » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:05 pm

Quade wrote:Yeah good to hear. Newsbin depends on the NZB contents for sizing information. It's possible with some NZB's aren't telling me what I want and then when it works to download, Newsbin recalculates the size. I'll have to keep my eyes open.

No, I don't think that's it. Otherwise, when loading the same NZB again shouldn't result in NewsBin suddenly displaying sizes correctly. And that's just what happens: if I load an NZB for the first time, it'll show as 0KB in the downloadlist. If, in the same session, I load the same NZB a second time then suddenly the downloadlist gets updated and shows the correct size for the download. That's even when NewsBin Pro is still downloading something else in the queue, so it's really not a matter of it picking up the size from the initial attempt to download.
Wildfire
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:39 pm

The download list is demand loaded. Meaning only parts of the download are in memory when you see them listed. When Newsbin attempts to download, the rest is loaded into memory. I'm guessing it has something to do with that.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support