Beta 4314 endless retries

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Beta 4314 endless retries

Postby tacomaguy20 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:08 pm

I was testing out the new Beta to see if it would help with the failing files/downloading incomplete files issue and now after loading an nzb file that might have previously failed, all of the downloading files show red as if missing from the server. After all files fail, it retries the download over and over again. At first this seemed ok that it would just keep retrying until the file was eventually complete on the server; then it would just download. However, I see that newsbin is still downloading nearly the full file size data each time it attempts a download and endless retries would max out my data limit pretty quick I'm guessing. By the way, my retries are set at 2, not max.
tacomaguy20
Active Participant
Active Participant

Re: Beta 4314 endless retries

Postby tacomaguy20 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:46 pm

Update:
Because the file was continually trying to download and all the files kept failing,I paused it so that I didn't download extreme amounts of data. I came back after a couple of hours and unpaused the file and it started to download partial blocks of each file. Every time it retried, it downloaded more blocks. After about 15 minutes, the file was completed and unrared. So it seems like that part is working in the way it was intended. I just think that that the retry setting isn't working properly as no matter what I set it too, it would continually retry. This in particular could be a problem for anyone without endless data because if I would left this file going, 1.5 gig every couple minutes for 2+ hours = Well you get the idea. Anyone trying the beta, may want to check to see if it does the same.
tacomaguy20
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:57 pm

The servers seem to be F'd right now. Your experience with it running red, then eventually starting to work is an example of how screwed up the servers are. I think retrying forever might be the best thing at this point till the servers are fixed. Yes it should obey the retry count. If it did in this instance though, you probably wouldn't have gotten the files.

The amount of data a retry transfers is pretty tiny compared to actual file downloads. It doesn't re-download anything it has already downloaded. A retry per block us probably 80-100 bytes up and 80-100 bytes down per block.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby tacomaguy20 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:19 pm

Quade wrote:The amount of data a retry transfers is pretty tiny compared to actual file downloads. It doesn't re-download anything it has already downloaded. A retry per block us probably 80-100 bytes up and 80-100 bytes down per block.

I'm not sure if it was just because the file was not showing as downloading anything originally but Newsbin in the left corner was showing me a little more than a gig download every retry and it wasn't getting any blocks. I believe that it was showing correct because my download speed was full speed the whole time the file was being attempted. After I unpaused the file and seen that it was getting blocks I wasn't worried because the file size was getting smaller each attempt. I would just be worried in the future if a file on my watchlist starts downloading while I'm gone and it takes several hours before any blocks start completing.
tacomaguy20
Active Participant
Active Participant

Return to V6 Technical Support