So what happened

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

So what happened

Postby BillyClub » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:09 am

Sorry if this is in the wrong board!
I've been using an 6.56 since somewhere in April at least twice a day and have had no problems what-so-ever. Used it twice earlier today and all OK
Just went on it again and got the notice to try out 6.61 RC4 and let you know if there any probs.
First of all I lost all of my Groups, Servers, Name and password are missing. And this is when still using 6.56. When double clicking a NZB file it goes directly into the downloading files box on the bottom third instead of tabs in the top half.
Any idea how to get my old settings back?
Thanks....BC
Tried system restore but that was a no-go
BillyClub
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: So what happened

Postby Quade » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:35 am

Sounds like it lost the NBI (configuration) file. Basically the entire configuration. How did you install? Remove and install fresh or just install over top? You should just install over the top of the old install.

Lets try something. In Newsbin select "Restore Backup Config" in the options menu then restart. If should show you a list of files. I'd pick the largests/newest one and save it. This works if you haven't restarted Newsbin too many times.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby BillyClub » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:34 pm

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you....I had reinstalled anew and forgot about the question I had asked
lucky for me I had a jpeg of each of the screens, saved me from a few headaches.
I'll try the new version when time permits...Thanks
BillyClub
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Mindflayer » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:36 pm

I am having this happen to me. When I start the latest install, it acts like I am installing for the first time. I am just installing over existing install. I am a registered user, also.

Is there a way to make it know I am not installing for the first time?
Mindflayer
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/08/03

Postby dexter » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:51 pm

If this happens, it means the installer couldn't determine that Newsbin has previously been installed. This can happen if Newsbin's windows registry keys get wiped out or if you are installing from a different user account. If you run the installer, it should create a backup copy of your configuration file if it finds one. It'll only find it if you are using the default data folder location or you gave it the same data folder location you previously had. If this is the case, you can go into the Newsbin Data Folder and rename the newsbin.nbi.old to newsbin.nbi then double-click that file to launch Newsbin using the old configuration.

Another option that might work, if you are using the same user account, is to start Newsbin, click on the Options menu item at the top of the Newsbin window and choose "Load Backup Configuration on Restart". Then close and restart Newsbin. You'll be presented with a list of previously stored configurations with a timestamp. Choose one from when Newsbin was last configured correctly and you should be all set.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mindflayer » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:16 am

Thanks. I am using the same account. I went ahead and installed it using the same folder. It saw there was an existing nbi so it renamed it. I then just renamed it back and double clicked on it. All seems OK.
Mindflayer
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/08/03

Postby dexter » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:02 am

Mindflayer wrote:... there was an existing nbi so it renamed it. I then just renamed it back and double clicked on it. All seems OK.

Great, glad you got it worked out.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to V6 Technical Support