Downloading Files to Folder not working for me

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Downloading Files to Folder not working for me

Postby eclapwannabe » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:29 am

I just upgraded to 6.60B15 Build 4107. I went to the properties screen for the ng I was monitoring and changed where I wanted the files to be downloaded. The same procedure that I have followed since day 1 of NBP64. But when I highlight the files to be downloaded it opens up to my default file folder. It is acting as though I I am in Search mode screen and is ignoring where I assigned that newsgroup files to be downloaded to in properties
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/20/12

Re: Downloading Files to Folder not working for me

Postby eclapwannabe » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:50 am

By investigating it looks like the new version of NBP64 has changed orientation.

If I go to Newsbin Options>Basic Settings>Main Download Folder and make changes here than I can get the downloads to work properly. Maybe I have misunderstood how downloading works in newsbin the whole time.

My understanding up to today was the Newsbin Option>Basic Settings>Main Download Folder was the default download folder kinda of a catchall folder for all/any files.

It was also my understanding if you went to Group List> "newsgroup">Properties>Download Folder> you could designate a special download folder for each newsgroup.

But the way things are working now it seems as though these processes have reversed themselves.
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:57 am

I assigned a path to a group. Then I added a file from that group. Download folder was set to the download path I set in the group. I can see it in the download list set to the proper path.

So, I'm not sure what you're seeing.

But when I highlight the files to be downloaded it opens up to my default file folder.

I don't know what you're saying here. You seem to be mixing up assigning a group to a folder and what "download to folder" right click or something?

If I right click a post for download and select "Download to Existing folder" it open into the new folder I just created.

Do you have "Open to Download Path" checked in the advanced options?

I think you're mixing up assigning a download path and what download path open when you "assign new path". They don't have to be connected.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby eclapwannabe » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:30 pm

I get so frustrated trying to explain to you when something goes wrong for me. Can I send you screen grabs to show you what is happening to me. I am no dummy. I just don't have a phd in newsbinpro64

All I am saying is the steps or programming has changed the way it handles downloads. Of course I will not be able to show how I performed this task on the previous build because I upgraded. I am going into MS-Word and try my best to show you what I am doing and then you can show me the CORRECT Way.
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:53 pm

You can send screen shots to tech support. ts@newsbin.com.

I think the problem is always the same. You're not clear about what's happening or what you're expecting. I think the easiest way to report an issue is to make a bulletized list and explain each step.

1 - I assigned a new download path to a group

2 - I bla bla something and it says X in the download path in the download. I was expecting Y in the download list path.

3 - And so on.

If you make it a set steps, it's much easier to follow. At this point I don't know what you're expecting or what you're seeing.

I asked you what the state was for a setting and you didn't answer me.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby eclapwannabe » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:06 pm

well

1. I am seeing Red Now because the link you sent me will not work and I tried copying
the link directly into my webmail program twice and I got an error message twice.
2. I know what needs to be done now.
3. I choose a.) Options and under the Options Menu b.) Settings
4. Under the Popup Newsbin Options Heading I choose Setup Option
5. Under the Main Download Folder is where I am assigning which set of folders I am going to be using based on the subject matter of the Files.
6. I used to be able to do this in The Group Properties Option but that option does not work anymore in the new beta build 6.60B15
7. When I choose The Group Properties Option the popup download window is going back to my baseline path which is H:\ not the complete path that I had assigned to it. ex H:\XYZ\ABC.
8. I don't under stand what State that I am living in or the computer is at?
9. I wanted to know why this is happening but I found away around the problem
10. Probably 90% of NBP users are doing NZB files and I think it is easier to assign Download Paths. I don't trust Usenet enough to just download willy-nilly stuff. There are too many jack a^^ses around now who want to do damage to my computer. Rar files are notorious for having hidden scr files and sometimes exe files.
11. The way I am doing it is probably not correct but it works for me. But I don't understand completely why it is working. But since we have a hard time communicating I can't get you to tell me what I am doing wrong. This has got to be a great program but it drives me bat dookie sometimes.
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:48 pm

. I am seeing Red Now because the link you sent me will not work and I tried copying
the link directly into my webmail program twice and I got an error message twice.

It's not a link, it's just an email address. I'd just type it into the "to" field. Or cut and paste it.

7. When I choose The Group Properties Option the popup download window is going back to my baseline path which is H:\ not the complete path that I had assigned to it. ex H:\XYZ\ABC.

When you load the group, are you loading the group or the entire topic with multiple groups into a single post list? The topic parent can have a download path too. If you're loading the topic, it'll use the topic's path or the main path.

Make sure any path you set has a trailing "\" on it.

I use headers exclusively.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby eclapwannabe » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:59 am

1. I always copy and paste the email addresses that are not stored in my email address book.
2. I may have failed to put in the last \ in the path but I have not had to do that in the past.
3. I hate doing headers because I am so picky they way I organize my file folders. That means that I have to go in and readjust the file folder name at a later date. Ugh. I download a lot of series stuff.
4. I know that being so picky about things may be the root of all my problems. Yes it is far easier to just download the header as a subject line.
5. Thanks for your help. Lets just leave it as is.
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:17 am

I was just testing by not putting a trailing slash on. Newsbin did it for me so, I'm not sure that's a real issue.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby kdbrink » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:03 pm

I am having the same issue. I'm running 6.60 build 4163.

I've always had the Options: Advanced: Open to Download Path: "When selecting a new download path, start the browse in the current path" option checked. Also each newsgroup is set up to download to it's own folder.

Now, when I try to download a file to a new path beside the default path set for that newsgroup (let's say I want download the file to a child path of the original parent group, the browser always starts at the default Newsbin download path as specified in Options: Setup: "Main Download folder." It used to start at the parent directory of the newsgroup I am viewing.

I keep my date files on a separate drive from the one that Newsbin is running from.
kdbrink
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/28/03

Return to V6 Technical Support