won't display new headers, cache at 200/200 (11)

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

won't display new headers, cache at 200/200 (11)

Postby confusednewb » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:17 pm

What did I do wrong this time - or, what happened? Easynews dropped me for no reason, so I switched to Frugalusenet. Downloaded all the new headers, but I get nothing newer than when I left Easynews.

Upgraded to 6.6 - figured that would help. It didn't. And now, my cache keeps having a large number in the () that doesn't go away.

I tried uninstalling completely, and then starting over. When I did THAT, I got no files larger than about 200k. What on earth have I messed up? (been using this pretty seamlessly for several years - if things were this bad in the trial period, I never would have bought it. So obviously, I've mucked something up)

thanks
confusednewb
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: won't display new headers, cache at 200/200 (11)

Postby confusednewb » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:25 pm

Just to add - I can download headers, the download box SAYS I'm downloading headers, but nothing shows up in the top window to download.
confusednewb
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:36 pm

In the options, select "Open Data Folder". Exit Newsbin. Delete the "Import" folder. Then restart Newsbin and download headers. See what happens.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby confusednewb » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:17 pm

Did that. Didn't seem to change things.

But - I was wrong. (btw, after letting the computer run all night, the cache is now 200/200 (7)

I HAVE new articles. But nothing larger than about 150 mb. So - now that I'm getting headers from Frugalusenet instead of Easynews, all I'm getting are the pieces - and nothing assembled for easy one click download.

Guess this is more of a newb question, but what did I click to make that happen? and how do I fix it?

thanks - feel free to move this to newb. but at the same time, why is my cache stuck at (7) ?
confusednewb
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:11 pm

What groups are you downloading headers from? Some groups are simply not usable from headers. They take forever to import and there are no files to combine because the subject is using random strings. I see it in groups that end in "tatu". If you have one of those groups in the list, you might as well delete it and use other groups instead.

Your comments here suggest you're using a group like that if not the same ones I mentioned.

There's nothing you do manually to make things compact. Either the format is correct and they compact or the format isn't correct and they don't. If it's something I can fix you just need to tell me what and where. If it's something like the "Tatu" groups, it's not fixable.

You can PM me the group that's causing you problems or post it here.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby confusednewb » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:57 pm

OK - tried downloading articles, even tho header size was grossly misrepresented. You were right - Newsbin downloaded correctly, even tho the size was wrong.

If I may ask one more question - and it may be tied to Frugalusenet's total and complete borkage of reported header size, I can't get the size filter to work. I would like to at least filter out the tiniest articles - but when I use the first setting on the filter - 5k bytes - all the articles disappear.

Even tho there are a number as large as 500 - 900 kb.

If it's Frugal - fine - thanks, and sorry to bother you. They DO still work with nzbs, they are cheap, but it looks like I need to go back to a real usenet provider.

Thanks, Quade and Dexter.
confusednewb
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:29 pm

If I may ask one more question - and it may be tied to Frugalusenet's total and complete borkage of reported header size, I can't get the size filter to work. I would like to at least filter out the tiniest articles - but when I use the first setting on the filter - 5k bytes - all the articles disappear.

Until they fix the server, size filters will be a crapshoot.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby confusednewb » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:57 pm

ok - thanks. wondered - they were working earlier, today, not at all.

Thanks for your excellent and appreciated help.
confusednewb
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support