Cannot install Newsbin 6.60 with Windows 10 Pro

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Cannot install Newsbin 6.60 with Windows 10 Pro

Postby NeverSimple » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:36 pm

Hello,

Although others seem to have no problems using Newsbin with Windows 10, I have...

When I run the installer at some point it halts, complaining it cannot write to a folder:

"cannot install Newsbin. Is Newsbin running? If so, please close Newsbin and click 'retry'
If Newsbin is not running, something is preventing us from installing to the selected folder.
Hit 'abort' and try to install to a different folder".

The folder is the standard Newsbin data folder (I guess): C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Newsbin\workspace.xml.

The 'Newsbin' folder really isn't created.

I ran the installer with administrator privileges and tried windows 7 compat mode. Did not help.

I'm not using any special firewalls or antivirus software on the machine, it's just a default windows 10 pro install.

On the same hardware I ran Newsbin pro 6.60 under windows 8.1 Pro just fine.

Haven't tried anything else.

Would appreciate some help to get Newsbin running.

Richard
NeverSimple
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/23/10

Re: Cannot install Newsbin 6.60 with Windows 10 Pro

Postby Quade » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:47 pm

I'd try installing the B2 version that's here in the forum. It has an updated installer.

I wonder if it's the same user folder as your real win10 user folder?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby NeverSimple » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:45 am

Quade wrote:I'd try installing the B2 version that's here in the forum. It has an updated installer.

Tried it, same error message. But.. I accidentally hit 'Ignore' (it's 32 degrees celcius out here :oops: ) when the error message came up, and it seems to have completed fine.
I tried using the program and it works fine, the folder (%APPDATA%/Local/Newsbin) is created. SO probably just an installer issue? I've heard there doing some extra virtualization in the Windows 10 Pro version, but I'm just guessing here.

I wonder if it's the same user folder as your real win10 user folder?

Seems so, all the other programs store their files in the same place. I can actually go to the folder using the windows 'command prompt', but wether that means it is an actual folder, or that windows is cleverly hiding some virtualization tricks, I don't know.

Anyway, thanks for the reply,

Richard
NeverSimple
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/23/10

Postby Quade » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:06 am

The file that failed to install is used to preset a specific look to the display. it's not required to be installed for Newsbin to function. Newsbin will create it itself if it's not there.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support