Give up if things are hopeless

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Give up if things are hopeless

Postby enchant » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:02 pm

I don't know of such a feature, but Newsbin is full of features that I don't use or simply don't understand. So I'll ask just in case...

Let's say I want Season 3 Episode 8 of "The Newsbin Comedy Hour". I do a search and find that it's been posted 10 times. I choose the one that looks like it might be the best version, but as it's downloading, I can see that many parts are missing on my server. Each block will be missing about 25% or so. It's obvious that the pars aren't going to be able to repair something this damaged. If I'm sitting there watching it, I can abort the download. But usually I'm not and Newsbin dutifully downloads everything that it possibly can, then fails at the end, since there's not enough.

Does Newsbin have any option to stop downloading if the situation is too bleak so I'm not downloading gigabytes in what is a totally futile effort?
enchant
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/14/10

Re: Give up if things are hopeless

Postby Quade » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:50 pm

It doesn't have such a feature yet but it is on my list. Say a percentage fail to fail to failed list.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby enchant » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:54 pm

Quade wrote:It doesn't have such a feature yet but it is on my list.

That's good news. Often there will be several posts about the same show. Maybe one of them is complete, so I have to keep going through them one by one.
enchant
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby mikdem » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:18 pm

Pause it, go to Options, setup , Data open Data Folder, you will see folders list and under the folder is a list with your downloads, delete the the appropriate file and restart Newsbin.

Mike
mikdem
n00b
n00b

Postby enchant » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:24 pm

mikdem wrote:Pause it, go to Options [ ... ]

Like I said,
If I'm sitting there watching it, I can abort the download. But usually I'm not and Newsbin dutifully downloads everything that it possibly can, then fails at the end, since there's not enough.

If I *am* watching it, I don't do all those steps. I just highlight the file in the downloads list and hit delete.
enchant
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support