Newsbin Won't Download a File (but pretends to)

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Newsbin Won't Download a File (but pretends to)

Postby Name Goes Here » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:45 pm

V. 6.56 build 3339

I was downloading a group of files and when it was complete I noticed that one of the files had 3 duplicates including one with an .nb extension. They all were the same size, but the file was damaged. Unfortunately the par set included did not recognize any of the data files and so could not repair the bad one.

So I tried to download that file again. I created a new nzb for just that file. When I opened the nzb with newsbin it showed the file as having been downloaded of course. I right clicked it and clicked "download, bypass filters.) That usually will work.

I watched the download progress and all the parts seemed to download OK, so I was hopeful, but when I looked in my default download folder the file wasn't there. I tried again and again. I went into advanced settings and turned off the duplicate detector. Still no good.

What is happening? it is showing a normal progress bar, it is showing the expected download path, and out of numerous tries it show 2 of them in the files list as successful downloads. But still an empty folder

???
Name Goes Here
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/13/05

Re: Newsbin Won't Download a File (but pretends to)

Postby Quade » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:16 pm

If the file is there but ends in NB! then something is preventing Newsbin from renaming the file to the real filename. Normally, I'd suspect security software. You might also want to see if your security software is doing something to the file. Maybe moving it to a quarantine zone.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Name Goes Here » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:50 pm

I use AVG free version and it always pops up and makes a big deal of it when it suspects something. It also gives me a choice of how I want the potential threat handled. That didn't happen. These are flac files.

Since I wrote I had an idea. I re downloaded the entire set of files again to a different folder, leaving the original set where they were. This is where it gets weird. Newsbin downloaded the set, and then moved the original downloads from the original folder to the new folder with the fresh downloads, renaming them with 001, 002, etc. This time the 12th file (which was the defective file in the original download) was fine, but the 7th file was defective this time. And I couldn't find the original which I'm pretty sure was OK. This time there were a total of nine copies of the 7th file with the extentions .1, .2, .3 and so on. A single jpg that was part of the set was duplicated 27 times in a similar fashion, all of them defective except one labeled with .001 instead of single or double digits like the defective copies.

So that is all very strange. I think I will have to download the entire set again on a different computer and see what I get.

But what is this about when Newsbin moves files around to different folders? I've seen it do that before when I change paths or re download something.
Name Goes Here
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Name Goes Here » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:27 pm

I downloaded the complete set a third time to yet another folder. This time as soon as the (formerly defective) 7th file was written to disc, I copied it to a different drive. It was perfect. Good thing I copied it to a different drive because as soon as all the files were complete Newsbin began to mess around with the pars and creating multiple copies of that file, ALL of them now corrupt. So there is something going on with that par set apparently. I noticed the pars had those weird numbers added to the name. Could that be part of the problem?
Name Goes Here
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:56 am

PM me what you tried to download. I just need the subject and maybe the group. If it's an NZB you can send it to ts@newsbin.com

6.60 is almost ready for release. Might be interesting to see how it works on these files.

Don't post the information out here in the open.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Name Goes Here » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:10 pm

NZB sent via email.
Name Goes Here
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Name Goes Here » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:13 pm

I'd appreciate a follow up here if you get a chance to play around with it.
Name Goes Here
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:42 am

I got the NZB. Haven't had a chance to try it yet.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Quade » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:59 am

Tried it this morning. All the files downloaded for me but Newsbin wasn't happy with the results. It ended up downloading all the PAR files and tried to repair multiple times. I fired up quickpar and it didn't like the PAR files at all. They didn't even list the filenames for the files. I don't know if the problem is quickpar or how the pars were made.

In 6.60, Newsbin will move any files needing repair back into the folder where the PAR files are, do the repair and then move them to the unrar folder (which might or might not be the same folder). If there are ID3 tags and you have Newsbin set to use ID3 tags, when if moves them to the unrar folder, it uses the ID3 settings. This is mostly new for 6.60. Since it couldn't repair the files, it didn't move them to the unrar folder.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support