Worker thread death: goodbye Newsbin, hello Mimo?!?!

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Worker thread death: goodbye Newsbin, hello Mimo?!?!

Postby noozcruz » Fri May 01, 2015 8:59 pm

I've been struggling with the "Worker thread died" issue running 6.55 build 3334 for several weeks. I tried 3 different anti-viruses and even no anti-virus at all, and it still happens.

I decided to try the super limited Mimo downloader Giganews provides: there's no issues and it never stops working.

This is a new behavior for Newsbin on this system. It may have began with its last update, which I think was in February. This system hasn't seen a lot of changes and most of them have been Windows Updates.

Is there any way to pinpoint what is causing the worker thread to die? Should I try reverting to the previous version (would it be compatible with the data now?)
noozcruz
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/23/04

Re: Worker thread death: goodbye Newsbin, hello Mimo?!?!

Postby Quade » Fri May 01, 2015 9:11 pm

You'd be better off running the 6.60 beta. B12 is pretty good.

Wonder if it's just running out of RAM? There's a fix in 6.56 and 6.60 for problems with boneless consuming too much RAM.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby noozcruz » Sun May 03, 2015 7:57 pm

Well, whatever the problem was, 6.60B12 b4008 is working like a champ. Could have been a RAM problem as the previous version seem to cause a lot more HDD thrashing in comparison. I set the options for an older system.

Nice to have an easy fix. Thanks!
noozcruz
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/23/04

Postby chiefj » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:25 pm

I too have had the Worker Thread Death error
I am using version 6.60B15

The Death error was preceded by another error

[11:33:36] ERROR DG - Connection Failed: My_Server Server Index:1 Done Socket - Connection To Server FailedSocket - Write To Server FailedSocket - Read From Server FailedDNS - Unable to Find Server's AddressDNS - Unable to Find ServiceDNS - Unable to Find Peer Address

I was getting the same error on an older version it did not change when I upgraded.

The comment you had about memory might point to the problem I am running on an older system 4G max memory

Chiefj
chiefj
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/03/03

Postby Quade » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:18 pm

This looks like security software blocking Newsbin off the internet. It's a common problems with upgrades. Both Newsbin and the security software. You need to tell your firewall to let Newsbin out onto the internet.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support