How to auto-skip bad files?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

How to auto-skip bad files?

Postby jakemiami5 » Mon May 04, 2015 12:29 am

Hi everyone. Often when I try to download a file that I later find out has been removed from the server, Newsbin will just sit there continuously trying to download each part of it and wasting a massive amount of time.

I usually have to manually delete that bad set of files from the download list before it will resume downloading the next thing in the list. Since I like to queue things up to download at night while I'm sleeping, this is a problem, because if I queue up 10 things to download, and the 2nd one is bad, I'll wake up to see that there are still 8 things sitting in the download list when they should have already been finished. The download bar will just turn red and then nothing else will get downloaded after it.

Is there a way to set Newsbin to skip the entire archive and/or move it to the bottom of the list automatically when this happens?
jakemiami5
n00b
n00b

Re: How to auto-skip bad files?

Postby Quade » Mon May 04, 2015 7:47 am

What version are you using? I've been tuning it to be more and more aggressive about re-moving these files. How many reties do you have set? 2 retries mean it should try for a minute or two in 6.60. The more retries the longer it'll take.

I'd give 6.60B12 a try. Going to try to get B13 into the forum today.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby jakemiami5 » Tue May 05, 2015 12:55 pm

I just installed B13 to try it out, and it deleted my entire download list. Was not aware this would happen as the non-beta updates always retained the download list. Is there a way to recover it? I had about 300 things queued up.
jakemiami5
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Tue May 05, 2015 2:34 pm

I just installed B13 to try it out, and it deleted my entire download list. Was not aware this would happen as the non-beta updates always retained the download list. Is there a way to recover it? I had about 300 things queued up

It mentions that the old download list isn't compatible in the announcement here in the forum.

Your old download list still exists. You'd just have to re-install an older version to get at it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby jakemiami5 » Tue May 05, 2015 3:03 pm

Quade wrote:
I just installed B13 to try it out, and it deleted my entire download list. Was not aware this would happen as the non-beta updates always retained the download list. Is there a way to recover it? I had about 300 things queued up

It mentions that the old download list isn't compatible in the announcement here in the forum.

Your old download list still exists. You'd just have to re-install an older version to get at it.

Alright, no problem. I suppose I'll finish up this list with an older version and then try the newer one again afterwards. It will take about 5-6 days for the current list to finish downloading so I'll get back to you at that time after I've had a chance to test the latest version.
jakemiami5
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Tue May 05, 2015 4:06 pm

You can export the old list to NZB but you'll lose the download folders if they're special. It'll use the NZB DOwnload folder settings when you import the NZB.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby jakemiami5 » Mon May 11, 2015 5:41 pm

Tested last night and the new version works MUCH better. It seems to have quickly skipped over any bad files and moved on to finish the rest of them. Thanks for the help.
jakemiami5
n00b
n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support