High Speed File Creation Mode

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

High Speed File Creation Mode

Postby Moondawgie » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:11 am

Whenever Newsbin Pro is first started with the Newsbin option of 'Status Tab Logging' set to 'Debug', an entry of 'DEBUG High Speed File Creation Mode: Disabled - "Run as Administrator" to Activate this mode' is displayed in the Newsbin Pro Status Tab.

And, when it's run as Administrator, which triggers Windows' UAC, an entry of 'DEBUG High Speed File Creation Mode: Enabled' is instead displayed in the Status Tab.

Inquiring minds would like to know:

(1) What is Newsbin Pro's 'High Speed Creation Mode'?
(2) Is there any benefit to running Newsbin Pro as Administrator so that Newsbin is run with High Speed File Creation Mode enabled?
(3) Am I being distracted by a shiny object of no value or benefit?

As a native born, red-blooded, American male of Irish ancestry, it's probably a genetic trait to believe that fast is usually better. But, in this particular instance, is fast really better?
MS Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit I- ASUS P8Z77-V LE; Intel i7-3770K 3.5 GHz; 16.0GB DDR3; 500 Mbps cable internet.
Moondawgie
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/17/03

Re: High Speed File Creation Mode

Postby Quade » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:38 am

(1) What is Newsbin Pro's 'High Speed Creation Mode'?
(2) Is there any benefit to running Newsbin Pro as Administrator so that Newsbin is run with High Speed File Creation Mode enabled?
(3) Am I being distracted by a shiny object of no value or benefit?

Windows has a security feature. When you write data to a file. Windows will always zero the data on disk before you write. So it's essentially writing twice. The high speed mode disables the zeroing of the data so, data is only written once instead of twice. As to benefit, I think it depends on your download speed. If you're on a really fast connections say > 200 Mbps it can probably help. If you're like me, on a 100 Mbps connection or less. I'm not clear if it'll help you.

In prior versions of Newsbin where Newsbin wrote to partial files on disk, it was a real benefit because starting a download might make Newsbin open and size 500 megs worth of files. These days with the chunks in memory mode. It's less of a benefit.

So, there is a benefit. You might not notice it though. I haven't benchmarked unrars when this mode is active. That might be an interesting thing to try.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: High Speed File Creation Mode

Postby Moondawgie » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:09 pm

Thank you.

I've long wondered about High Speed File Creation Mode. But my finally getting around to asking my question was prompted by new favorite activity - Watching Process Monitor's reporting of Newsbin's activities on my computer. :dazed:
MS Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit I- ASUS P8Z77-V LE; Intel i7-3770K 3.5 GHz; 16.0GB DDR3; 500 Mbps cable internet.
Moondawgie
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/17/03

Return to V6 Technical Support