Does VPN keep you safe?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Does VPN keep you safe?

Postby timberflake » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:22 am

I use Usenet with VPN, just wondering if there's anything I need to do in Newsbin to keep things private from prying eyes (including my isp) or is it really just as easy as connecting to the VPN and away I go?

Also, what's everyones opinion on the best protocol? OpenVPN (TCP), OpenVPN (UDP), L2TP, or PPTP? I'm using OpenVPN (UDP) due to it being super fast.
timberflake
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/07/06

Re: Does VPN keep you safe?

Postby Quade » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:37 am

Why not just use SSL? VPN is another security layer for sure but a VPN is probably slower than going direct. Usenet isn't like torrent. It's just a connection between you and the server. Nobody else can see what you're doing. The ISP with enough effort could see what you're doing but if they were discovered doing it, I suspect there'd be a shit-storm.

If you're flying in a plane, you want to use a VPN. All Plane internet is MITM'd meaning they even intercept SSL and see what's in there.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby timberflake » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:19 pm

Sorry, pretty new to this! I've got SSL enabled through Newsbin so that means my ISP won't be able to see what I'm doing in that?

I've been reading up recently on just how much info is kept about you when browsing the net so want to keep it to a minimum. I've enabled OpenVPN (UDP) and if anything, my download speed thought Newsbin was a bit faster.

Presumably then with SSL and VPN I'm pretty much safe?
timberflake
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:28 pm

If your ISP is throttling you then the VPN might be faster. As long as your performance is good there's no reason not to use both. Keep in mind you've just moved where the data comes out. The VPN is only as secure as the people who run the other end. Right now you don't want your ISP to see what you're doing which is fine but by using the VPN, you've moved it so now the VPN people can see who you're connecting too even if your ISP can't. If your main worry is the ISP though then the VPN will help.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby timberflake » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:41 pm

I think I spoke too soon as my newsbin connection has dropped by 1/3rd!

My main concern is that I don't want my isp spying on me, so will SSL be enough for this?
timberflake
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:29 pm

How safe do you need to be?

SSL should prevent them from seeing what you're doing but if they really want to find out what you're doing that won't stop them. You're just one of 1000's of people though. You have decide if you think they're going to focus attention on you personally. It's not something I worry about, I just use SSL. If the Snowden revelations have taught us nothing else, it taught us that if someone is sufficiently motivated they can probably track what you're doing. I'm just a nobody, I don't expect that anyone is paying attention to me. I don't think the ISP's want to be saddled with watching you either.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support