Download current headers again?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Download current headers again?

Postby Maelstroem » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:17 pm

For some reason one of my groups has stopped updating headers via Astraweb? I've posted some files (both through Astraweb and Block News) but when I update the headers for that group nothing is coming through from Astraweb yet in Binsearch the files are showing? If I try downloading older posts via download Special I still don't see the posts, whether that's because I already did a full header download already?

Is there any way, short of deleting the headers and downloading them again, to force NB to redownload headers for the last 2 days? Tried changing the header overlap to 5000 but still no posts show!

EDIT: Pulled headers via blocknews and they are all there, but not when pulling via Astraweb!!
Maelstroem
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/03/03

Re: Download current headers again?

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:24 pm

Sounds like an AW problem. I think they're having issues. I might be switching back to Giga for headers.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Maelstroem » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:50 pm

Waste of time looking on their site, latest 'news' is from September last year! Ditched the posts in the group and compared headers from AW to Blocknews, nothing after the 6th is coming through from AW, all posts show up on blocknews/binsearch so AW has shit itself again!
Maelstroem
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:32 pm

You could delete the "range.db3" for that group then set if shortish "Download Age". Maybe 10 days and do a normal header download. Maybe "range" got corrupted.

Edit: This is the same thing as right clicking the group and "Post Storage/Use Download age". It deletes the range.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby JayPea » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:48 am

I can confirm that AW is shitting the bed with headers (pulling from the Euro farm at least). I'll raise a ticket with them and see what they've got to say.
JayPea
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/11/06

Postby Maelstroem » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:42 pm

@Quade: Thanks for the tip, however, constipated AW seems to be squeezing parts through it's anus again as the parts I was missing have now come through! So I tried posting again, which seems back to fullspeed, but oh dear it's constipated again! Out of 17 rars I posted they've managed to lose 4 of them and 3 are incomplete, incredible reliability from their 'Excellent propagation of posts', pity most of them are still not actually propagating back to their servers!

@JayPea: Would be interesting to see what bollocks they give you and can you also ask why they've not posted any news since September? I'm guessing there would be so many issues to post each day that they just don't bother anymore.
Maelstroem
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby JayPea » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:57 am

Me :

Heya Support.

Something wrong on the EU farm when refreshing groups. Headers have been spasticated for the last couple of days now. Tried with 2 different newsreaders. Working fine from my secondary account with News Demon.

Can you drop another 50p in the meter to get it working again?

Thanks,
Jay

AW :

Hi Jay,

Could you please try again to see if it is working now?

Thank you and have a nice day!

Regards,
Kylie

----------------

Seems to be back to 'normal' now with groups back-filling as of my header update around 30 mins ago.
JayPea
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/11/06

Postby Maelstroem » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:50 am

Thanks for the update!

Posting seems to be working 'for now', let's see how long, 'or short', it takes to screw up again!!
Maelstroem
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:07 am

Thanks for the update.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Maelstroem » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:02 am

So it's happening again!

Posted 1.6GB through AW and 1 file is missing and 1 is 5% complete! Re-posted those files via AW and they still don't turn up when pulling latest headers, same when posting through blocknews, they don't show up on AW? If I pull latest headers via blocknews it shows that post as a blue dot as if complete, but if I click the + to see the files it shows the same missing files as on AW and the icon changes to the yellow exclamation triangle? If I reload the group it shows as a blue dot again but opening changes it back to yellow triangle, ad infinitum? Any reason why NB isn't showing the post as complete?

This is with 6.55 Build 3334.

*UPDATE* Just installed 6.60 Beta5 and this issue has disappeared, opening the post now shows all files complete!
Maelstroem
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support