How to control how much ram memory being used in newwsbin

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

How to control how much ram memory being used in newwsbin

Postby eclapwannabe » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:54 pm

Currently I am monitoring one group. The compressed header count shows 635k headers. I have 38 groups that I subscribe to. But I have unchecked the blue dot beside their listing. Am I correct when that is checked NBP is active in downloading updates for those groups?

System Manager is showing 509K ram is being used by NBP application. I had a problem this am when using the program. It became unresponsive and locked up my computer. I tried task manager but to no available. SM would not open up to let me kill the application. I found out I can go through system files to access the root system file system. I tried the taskkill file option and windows told me that process was not in existence. So my only option at that point was turn off my machine. Lately when I do that it mucks up my system and system restore has to be invoked in order for my computer to work properly.

I have found out that before I try to do multiple things (in nbp) it is best to just stop the program, wait a bit than reload the program. That way I do not run into the dreaded (application is not responding). I am pretty sure that it is because system resources are being overloaded.

tia ecwb
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/20/12

Re: How to control how much ram memory being used in newwsbi

Postby itimpi » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:59 pm

How much RAM do you have on your machine? Most modern machines would have at least 4GB but older ones can be more constrained.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Re: How to control how much ram memory being used in newwsbi

Postby Quade » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:19 pm

Downloading headers doesn't consume much ram so, there's no reason to not let Newsbin download then from your groups. Loading the headers into a post list consumes RAM. Downloading into the cache buffers consumes RAM. Having a bunch of connections to the servers consumes RAM too. What's your display age set to? The amount of data you load into the post list and the number of files in the download list (In 6.55, 6.60 doesn't work the same) mostly determines RAM use.

500K ram use isn't much. I'm looking at my Newsbin right now with 2000 cache blocks and it's consuming 800 megs of RAM. The default cache blocks of 200 shouldn't consume more than 200 megs. I have an action item to free the cache block RAM up when Newsbin goes idle but I haven't done it yet.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support