Out of Memory after shutting down

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Out of Memory after shutting down

Postby Valmont » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:33 pm

Check out this screenshot. Why is this after I have shut down Newsbin? I was downloading about 1 TB of files. Then I noticed Newsbin reacted slow, so I shut it down. This what came up then. At about 10 GB it throws an 'Out of Memory' error. I have 16 as you see, but that's not the gist of the problem. I wonder why that is. I don't see HDD (it's a SSD by the way) activity. So what the program doing now? Cheers!

Valmont
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/14/09

Re: Out of Memory after shutting down

Postby Quade » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:31 pm

No idea. How much do you have in the download list?

When you exit, it saves the order of the download list to the database. Makes me think the DB is corrupted.

What version is this?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Valmont » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:52 pm

It's version 6.55. It started with a total download size of about 1.5 TB, all downloads of 1 GB up to about 40GB. So relatively not many files in the queue. Next morning it had about 1 TB left as the SSD disk of 500 MB was full. I cleaned up resumed the download after a restart.
Next step I did was deleting stuff from the download list as it become apparent what I didn't need or want to download. All works fine.

When having about 500 GIG left a few hours later, I checked Newsbin to see what else is left to download.
Noticed slow reaction time (4 seconds) when clicking things. Checked the CPU load. It used 15%. That only happens when it unpacks stuff. But nothing was being unpacked! And even if it does. the UI still responds fast normally. So I knew Newsbin was doing activity out of the order. Checked also the DISK performance but nothing was in the queue related to Newsbin and Disk "E", which is the SSD dedicated to Newsbin.

So I shut down Newsbin. But the process didn't unload from memory and it started to use up the memory up to 10GB. Then it generated the Out of Memory error even though I have 6 GB left. And that's that. So I rebooted the PC. Resumed the download, and everything right now is fine and dandy. Shutdown works fine, it unloads itself from the memory.

I noticed this odd behaviour twice before since I have this fast 90MB usenet connection (fully utilized) and replaced my very old HDD with a SSD (Samsung 840 Pro). Downloading a TB or more is nothing new for me. Before I go to work, I select stuff from top to bottom, then when I go back home I select and delete 99% again. I do this since Newbin 4. It looks like it can't handle extreme usage and various kinds of speeds.

Cheers!

Edit:
Downloads complete in 7 hours. Maybe I can just delete this dreaded database? Which one would it be?. First I finish downloads. Then I quite newsbin. If it unloads correctly (I'm sure it will), then delete database?
Valmont
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby maupassant » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:06 am

Your problem seems similar to mine : viewtopic.php?f=43&t=37521
maupassant
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/04/10

Postby Valmont » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:51 pm

maupassant wrote:Your problem seems similar to mine : viewtopic.php?f=43&t=37521

Yes it does indeed. I'm sure it's something small but unexpected related to the downloads.db3 indeed. I un-installed and re-installed Newsbn, naturally removed everything before. It's not a deal breaker though. It happens rarely and removing the process forcefully didn't corrupt my files left to be downloaded at all.
Valmont
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby abalian » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:14 pm

Also having the same problem. http://forums.newsbin.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=37754

I have to kill the process after closing Newsbin to avoid hitting the memory limit.
abalian
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/16/14

Return to V6 Technical Support