Show special... also "Subject Index Error".

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Show special... also "Subject Index Error".

Postby astrax » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:46 am

Hi,
still using 6.54, build 3326. Do I understand this correctly: when I choose a time period for headers to be displayed, that I haven't already downloaded yet - NB should download these automatically, when I choose so, right?
Let's say I have downloaded headers for a certain group up until December 2013. When I choose November 2013, the list stays empty. Shouldn't those headers be download then?

Also: when I click "load older files into the list" I get the "Subject Index Error" with a bogus date from 1970 as a last entry into the list.

Do I have to choose "Download All Headers" or "Download Special..." for that group to get these older posts? How would I know how many headers are needed to match a certain period of time?

Thanks!
astrax
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/10

Re: Show special... also "Subject Index Error".

Postby Quade » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:27 am

When I choose November 2013, the list stays empty. Shouldn't those headers be download then?

There's no mechanism to do this.

Also: when I click "load older files into the list" I get the "Subject Index Error" with a bogus date from 1970 as a last entry into the list.

Can't really "load older" than whatever you have stored on disk.

You idea is good. I never want to have discontinuous blocks of headers in the DB which your scheme could cause but maybe that doesn't matter anymore. I'll have to think about it.
Currently there is no good mechanism for doing a ranged header download. Usenet doesn't support it directly. I'd have to probe the group.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby astrax » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:56 am

OK, no problem. Just a misunderstanding on my side then.

So, what would be the best way to d/l these older headers then? D/L all?
astrax
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/10

Postby Quade » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:12 pm

You can set a longer download age then right click the group and "Post Storage/Use Download Age" to reset it to use the long download age. Then just download headers normally.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support