ChunkCacheSize Being Deleted?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

ChunkCacheSize Being Deleted?

Postby AnthonyG » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:30 pm

I was looking for information on if v6.60 was out (for some reason I was never given any news message of 6.55 being released and no message to auto update to it, so figured I would wait for 6.60 to go through the manual update). And was looking at the features and it mentioned in the features of Newsbin "Optimizations for downloading to SSD drives".

I have been using newsbin (a lot) for three years now and I knew nothing of this feature of Newsbin. But for the life of me I can see no guide on how to enable it. So I hunted down the options list to see if there was a tick option of "optimise for SSD". And couldn't find anything like this.

So started googling for what this could be. And unless I have missed it, the optimisations are manually configured by yourself by going to your newsbin.nbi file and opening it in wordpad going to performance and adding this as a final line in it;

ChunkCacheSize=1000

So I have did this, saved it, re-opened the nbi in wordpad to see if it is there and it was, so its definitely been saved. The problem is, as soon as I open the actual Newsbin app. It is deleting the entry entirely from the performance list.

My list in performance now is;

[Performance]
PauseDownload=0
RepairPriority=0
RepairThreads=0
SaveChunksMode=0

I am changing it to

[Performance]
PauseDownload=0
RepairPriority=0
RepairThreads=0
SaveChunksMode=0
ChunkCacheSize=1000

But it wont accept this. I am using x64 version 6.54 build 3326. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong? Or if I have missed an important step out. And can I ask are there any other options to tick or add to make it better optimised for SSDs?

I have 32GB of installed RAM so I am good to go on this side of things.
AnthonyG
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/01/12

Re: ChunkCacheSize Being Deleted?

Postby Quade » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:37 pm

I'd check task manager with and make sure Newsbin isn't still running before you edit the file. That's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support