Headers not getting deleted

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Headers not getting deleted

Postby Sean » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:00 pm

Im using Newsbin Pro 6.55 build 3334 on a Windows 7 PC with an i7

I have had a problem that I have been having to workaround or ignore for a while but I want to sort it properly.

what is happening is that when I either Delete or Shift-Delete headers in news groups the headers delete from the view then several things happen:
1. when I try to download anything from the group it never appears in the download list so never gets downloaded.
2. if I close and reopen the application none of the headers I previously tried to delete were deleted, i.e i can still see all the headers there
3. sometimes when I close the application, I cannot restart it and when I check the processes the newsbinpro64.exe is still running, utilizing 24-25% cpu. I have left this process running in case it had not finished a task or something similar, but I would expect after 24 hrs it to have finished what it was doing, it had not...
4. sometimes when I restart the newsbin.nbi has been corrupted and is a 6k file containing just NULs..

I have tried purging all the newsgroup databases and also deleting everything and reloading but the same thing happens.

I am tired of having to reload all the headers and now I have been data-capped I do not really want to have to keep downloading headers, are there any tools etc I can get to look at what is going off on my system or tools that can check through my newsgroup databases for errors or problems.

I use a news service that has over 900 days retention and have had my options set to :
download age:120
display age:120
storage age:120

The problem only seems to occur when I try and delete older headers, I seem to be able to delete headers that are upto a few weeks old, but one the above is seen all I can do is kill the newsbinpro64 process..

Any advise will be appeciated...
Sean
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/23/04

Re: Headers not getting deleted

Postby Quade » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:10 am

storage age:120

You're telling Newsbin to only keep 120 days worth of headers. That means if you download 900 days of headers you'll have...120 day. You can download headers as many times as you want but, Newsbin won't store anything older than 120 days and as headers age, they'll get purged when they're older than 120 days.

Delete and Shift-Delete do 2 fundamentally different things. Delete marks the posts "old". Shift-Delete deletes them.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=37711

It sounds like this. That it's never finishing and once it starts you can't download because you can't have 2 things in the DB at a time.

6.55 is done so, I wouldn't mind looking into this with the new beta. If it's too beta for you, we can put it off till it's more stable.

Down in the "cache" line is there a number in parens (XXX)? If Newsbin is still importing headers then delete won't even starts. The number in parens represents blocks of headers still importing.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Sean » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:49 am

I understand that I will only be storing 120 days of headers and the difference between Delete and Shift-delete and I also had reviewed the link you include.

when I download all headers I wait till it completes and see only 120 days of headers which I believe is correct.

the cache line in the status bar is currently showing 200/200 (0)

If I get chance later I will download and try the beta but I still believe this is something else..

I was able to compact the database also, at one stage it was over 7GB in size it is now only 276.9MB and the problem still exists..

When the problem exists the cache also shows 200/200 (0)
Sean
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Sean » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:52 am

After I have deleted the headers the newsbin process shows 0% usage, as soon as I try to download anything the process jumps to 25% usage and just stays there, the cache also stays at 200/200 (0)
Sean
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Sean » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:23 pm

Ok so I tried 6.60B3 bld 2755, when I started it up I noticed it displayed some of the downloads as partial downloads, when deleting it took some time but eventually everything seems to work better.

I have however experienced a ERROR FileIOThread - internal crash.

What happened was I was opened an incomplete multpart file (pressed the + in the left column), then selected 10 out of the 13 complete parts (the other 3 had not appeared yet), the download descriptions window was bizaar and for some reason Newbin selected and tried to download the 3 missing parts which then caused the internal crash
Sean
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:46 pm

The post I pointed out earlier. I was posting to it today. I've managed to make delete run 100's of times faster by changing an index in the header database. I'd hold off any additional trouble-shooting till you can try it on B4.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support