Verry slow to expand search results

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Verry slow to expand search results

Postby intika » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:08 pm

Hello,

i love how your application evaluated with the last version, we could say it's now usable, very nice work !!!

there is only one think that make me wait before fully switching from my current client it's the slowness of the application...

The main issue is when you get a search result when you click on the "+" to list/expand the the grouped files it takes a while like 10 to 30 sec...
i think it's caused by the algorithm that check the file integrity.

Here is 3 quick suggestion to fix the problem on next release
1. Do the file integrity check on all result before the search result is displayed
2. Give the user the possibility to choose, add a setting to disable/enable file checking on result.
3. Give the user the possibility to choose, add a setting to choose if we do the file check before or after displaying the result.

it could be the file check or some other operation, any way you could make that operation disableable or do it before displaying the result.
or make it perform faster, and it should perform at least 100x faster... waiting that long just to see the file list is very painful

Personally i prefer to wait a long time before having the search result displayed then waiting every time i click the "+" on each result.

Please let know if there is a solution on the current version over the ini file or so

Thank a lot
intika
n00b
n00b

Re: Verry slow to expand search results

Postby Quade » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:51 pm

i think it's caused by the algorithm that check the file integrity.

There really is no such thing.

When you hit the + icon to expand the results. Newsbin has to go out onto the internet, hits the search server and downloads the data it needs to display the expanded set. Then it writes this data to one of the DB files in the "Search" folder and reads it in as if it was a header.

1 - Network access. If you're downloading at the same time, there might not be much bandwidth left to download the data.

2 - Disk IO speed. Slow disks will expand slower on both ends.

I did a random search and found a set of files that are 30 GB. I clicked the + icon and it took 4 seconds to expand the listing. That's with nothing downloading, on a fast network going and a 7200 RPM hard disk.

On my machine:
1.5 gigs = .5 second.
5 gigs = 2 seconds.
18 gigs = 3 seconds.
30 gigs = 5 seconds.

It's running a little slower than I expect but, not 30 seconds worth.

How about pausing your downloads and see if it makes any difference.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby intika » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:20 pm

thanks for the fast answer it's amazing

i come from newsleecher it's why i found the delay not normal, because in the other application the search take longer but when you click the plus it display in an instant...

any way test i it again

10 gb - 5 sec
2 GB - 2 sec
etc.

it's not 30 second but i use to see that result in an instant it's some how frustrating to wait, and it could be not understandable from users coming from other clients, even altbinz show it in an instant and take more time to display search result, in the websearch engines it also display in almost an instant... you know it nothing new : )

my machine is an ssd with 8gb ram 50mb internet... etc. any way i get almost the same result as you

it could be useful to download the full result before displaying it, like that when we click the "+" it's just computed locally and it will be displayed in an instant as the other clients do.

or may be give the user the choice of downloading the full result or not, as a setting or so.

because of this when i started using newsbin recently i told my self waw amazing application with bunch of feature, but it's horribly slow, because i never really use it before and did not notice the functioning of the search function.

Any way last time i used newsbin it was a direct turn off because of the design and the search engine, and now with your V6 you made an amazing job really ! congratulation !!!

Thanks
intika
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:42 pm

I don't like how I click the + and there's no visible change to the display to show I clicked it. I wrote myself a note to look into it.

I'll look into why it's slower than I expect too. I'm using it with 6.60 but, that part is pretty much the same as 6.55.

You know if you Ctrl-R on the compacted set, it'll read all the NFO/SFV/small PAR and the first part of the first rar into a Notepad window? You might find that works better than expanding and trying to read them. You can also do the Ctrl-R to multiple files at a time.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support