Newsbin on SSD and 'sufficient' RAM

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Newsbin on SSD and 'sufficient' RAM

Postby nbwul62 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:00 am

On http://help.newsbin.com/index.php/V650- ... imizations
Under SSD Optimizations, I read
"
Newsbin now caches up to 200 parts of each file into memory so there is no intermediary disk access for most files. This cache can be increased if you don't want partial files to be written to disk at all.
"
Say Newsbin is installed on a SSD (Samsung 850 Pro 1TB) and the pc has sufficient RAM, e.g. 16GB or 32GB, what would ideally be the number of parts.

I meanwhile found that this should be set by editing the newsbin.ini file (vainly tried to find it under 'options'), presumably under Performance -> ChunkCacheSize..?

Checking my .ini I noticed

[Performance]
ChunkCacheSize=2000
PauseDownload=0
RepairPriority=0
RepairThreads=0
SaveChunksMode=0

-
which may be quite high considering my current 8GB RAM?

Then again, I would not what roughly should be considered for 8GB, 16GB or more.

Thanks
-
nbwul62
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/18/03

Re: Newsbin on SSD and 'sufficient' RAM

Postby Quade » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:21 am

You're just trying to cache a single files worth of posts if you're trying to avoid disk IO. I find 400 to work for me. Most files are under 300 chunks each. Some of the really large files might be larger. Things are less clear if you're downloading a bunch of incomplete files. With incomplete files, the partial files are sent to disk while the complete files get downloaded. That might justify a higher number but, it's rare enough I don't worry about it.

Samsung SSD's seem to have about the highest longevity in the industry. I don't really think I'd worry much about burning through the drive.

http://techreport.com/review/27436/the- ... -petabytes
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby nbwul62 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:34 am

Thanks.
Videofiles often have partNNN sizes of 50MB sometimes bigger (see below)
I have often seen repair files of 100+MB

I guess I can leave it to the 2000 as below when using SSD.

=
nbwul62
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/18/03

Postby Quade » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:43 am

I'm not seeing an indication of the number of chunks.

On average a chunk/decoded post ranges from 300-600K depending on who's posting it. So, if these files are each 155 megs and they're using a 600K chunk size it's 258 chunks per files. In that case a chunk cache of 400 would be more than enough. Remember you're ONLY trying to cache any single file. Once a file completes it gets written out to disk so, there's no avoiding writing out each RAR file to disk. What the chunk cache permits is the avoidance of intermediate writes.

A large chunk cache can also help to sooth over unrars and repairs though. If you find the download stalling during an unrar/repair a higher chunk cache will allow the download to continue while an unrar is happening.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support