v6.54 b3326 QUICKPAR operationa all failing

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

v6.54 b3326 QUICKPAR operationa all failing

Postby Andy Voelkle » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:45 am

QUICKPAR is one of the oldest un-updated executables I know. Maybe it's perfect? It's in the same location as before, same as worked fine with this build of NewsBin Pro only yesterday or so. Now it's kaput. Can't find it, won't work with it, ain't there, etc. Other programs still make it crank along. I still use it to create PAR2 sets to protect stuff getting archived*. I tried some stuff with no results.

*Maybe everyone already does this. I create a set of PAR2 correction files with every "roll" of photos I take. The rule is simple: enough PARs to reconstruct the two largest files (images) AND enough to reconstruct 20% of the total. Data storage is cheap compared to losing family photos. And remember an old backup rule developed by spooks before the invention of the quill pen. You aren't backed up at all until you return to find your house burned, or ransacked to the bare walls, or missing altogether. The "cloud" is just some idiot's fantasy of having all your files. Sometimes they aren't there to give them back. Just ONE critical DVD of files kept with a friend or neighbor would be quite nice if all else failed. If it's all in a nice RAR or ZIP it can be password protected. And for any data set there must be TWO complete "backup" copies, all three in separate geographies. Image link not allowed for unregistered users
Preserve your youth and health!
Andy Voelkle
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: v6.54 b3326 QUICKPAR operationa all failing

Postby itimpi » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:02 am

Not quite sure of the point you re trying to make?

QuickPar is not part of Newsbin and is not used by Newsbin. The only common factor is that they both know how to use PAR2 files for checking/repair purposes. If you are having problems with QuickPar then it is not caused by Newsbin.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Re: v6.54 b3326 QUICKPAR operationa all failing

Postby Quade » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:42 am

Newsbin doesn't use quickpar but, then again it doesn't re-hook the PAR filenames either. Have you tried re-installing it? Quickpar is rather long in the tooth. It doesn't support UNICODE/UTF-8 encoded files names for example. The PAR processing in Newsbin is superior to Quickpar but, you can't actually use it to generate new PAR files.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support