Download Filters

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Download Filters

Postby TBlack » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:36 pm

Do Download Filters using these instructions: "http://help.newsbin.com/index.php/V550-Download-Filters" still work in 6.50?

These instructions say the entries are not downloaded...is that still accurate?

If so, any tips to pass along?

Thanks
Tom
TBlack
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/05/03

Re: Download Filters

Postby Quade » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:09 am

Should work.

They aren't saved but, the headers are all still downloaded. There's no way to filter a header until after it's downloaded.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby TBlack » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:37 am

Ok, thanks!
Tom
TBlack
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby TBlack » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:15 am

You may want to check the DownloadFilter function. Files are being saved that the Global Filter Subject Reject is catching.

And to make sure I understand, the DownloadFilter only looks at the Subject Reject part of the Filter, not the Subject Accept area?

Thanks
Tom
TBlack
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby TBlack » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:42 pm

Quade,

Done some simple testing. Added only \.jpg and then [.]jpg to Subject Reject for a separate filter and added the appropriate line under the test Group in the .NBI file. It acts like DownloadFilter is not hooked up or something cause the jpgs still are saved. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks

Tom
Tom
TBlack
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:41 pm

1 - I hand edited the NBI file and set:

[Some Topic]
DownloadFilter=Imagefilter

You set the filter on the parent of the group you want to filter. Not the group itself.

[UNSORTED]
DownloadFilter=Imagefilter

2 - I generated a new filter called "ImageFilter" and added [.]jpg and [.]jpeg to the subject reject and checked the "enabled" button. It wasn't working initially and it turned out I hadn't checked the enabled button.

3 - I did a header download on a group with images in it.

[13:36:00] DEBUG Header Filter: Filtered: <some crap>.jpg 277327 bytes <547f187d$0$44333$b1db1813$46decd27@news.astraweb.com> Size:382862

Is what showed up in the logging tab. Now I did this in 6.60 because that's what I'm working on but, it's the same code as 6.54.

If you still can't get this to work. I'll dig up 6.55 to try it on.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby TBlack » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:48 pm

What do you mean by [Some Topic], alt.binaries.something?
Tom
TBlack
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:56 pm

I don't know how you have your groups organized but, I have setup groups in related topics in the groups list.

"Celebrities" is one. It has 10 or so groups in it.

[Celebrities] is where the options for this topic are located in the NBI file.

So, I'm saying you have to set the filter at the topic level and it'll apply to all groups in the topic.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby TBlack » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:45 pm

Ok, my topic is still Unsorted and all my Groups are there. Since I could not change or delete the name, I just left it (wish we could edit the names...any chance in the very near future?).

I did add the "DownloadFilter=Unwanted" to the Topic Unsorted with the [.]jpg Subject Filter, then downloaded some Picture Groups. No .jpg files appeared, although there were no Log entries saying a certain file(s) was ignored. Turned the filter to Off, re-downloaded the Group and the .jpg appeared. Seems Subject Accepted also works. I have a Subject Accepted Filter that only accepts entries with certain file extension names, i.e RAR, etc. Some posters upload files with no extension names, so this kills those as well.
Tom
TBlack
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:55 pm

You can't change "unsorted" but, you can add add as many subgroups as you want. That's been in there for years. Then drag and drop the groups or right click select and "Send to Folder".

Says "Add New Folder" in the right click menu.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby TBlack » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:37 pm

I try to be very careful with vertical space. I would move everything in Unsorted to something like "Tom", but then Unsorted would sit there empty taking up vertical space. I prefer not to have to scroll vertically if at all possible.

I have Watch_Topics and Unsorted Expanded all the time. I have one Watch_Topic searching for several similar subtopics so as to conserve vertical space. I like to set the screen up to see things at a single glance and not have to scroll either way.

I don't use Custom_Lists, know how to or tried to apply it to how I used NB, so that is wasted vertical space to me. Would love to edit it out. Maybe if you could reference something that explains how to use or benefit from Custom_Lists, I could be persuaded.

I have opted to live with it hoping to be able to edit the names at some point....guess not.

I just made a new Topic called Wallpapers and moved my Wallpapers Group there so the download filter does not affect the .jpg files in that group. This is where possibly being able to add the Download Filter entry to each desired group within a Topic would be an advantage.

Quade, thanks for you patience once again :)
Tom
TBlack
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support