Failed Download Information Mismatched

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Failed Download Information Mismatched

Postby UPdown » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:19 pm

Before retiring to slumber earlier this morning, I set Newsbin to downloading a handful (more like a double/double handful, but the numbers aren't important) of files. A healthy percentage downloaded successfully. But a few ended up in the failed files section. Some of them got shuttled there for running out of retries and some ended up there due to Duplicate Detection.

I STILL wanted all of these stragglers and opted to hilite the lot and choose to download bypass filters. Well, most of them ended up right back in Failed Files. The curious thing is that the Current Description (where I get the why's) didn't match the file it was attempting to download at all.

The Description in Download Descriptions indicated the file in question. The Download Path was correct on a file-by-file basis (Some were pre-assigned from a group search, the rest went into Unsorted via an Internet Search). The size info was correct. BUT the Current Progress said: "Retry Failure: Ran out of retires [######] filename" and the filename wasn't anything like the file description in the left-half. In fact, the filename was one of the OTHER files I had been attempting to download and then download bypass filters. The first two entries were one of the files STILL in the Downloading Files tab, the second and fourth were from other other files in that tab. EACH was showing signs it wouldn't download with significant red blocks in the current progress gauge.

I DO have screenshots if desired.

Don't think this is a showstopper bug. More of an annoying nit. It takes dogged pursuit of failed downloads and looking at the failures a third time. But a bug, it does seem to be.
UPdown
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/27/12

Re: Failed Download Information Mismatched

Postby Quade » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:12 pm

This will completely change in 6.60 so, I'm not sure it'll apply in the future. I'll keep an eye open for it.

Thanks.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby UPdown » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:18 am

I will see if I can TEST the situation once 6.60 goes gold. Thanks. UpdDown
Last edited by UPdown on Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UPdown
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/27/12

Postby Quade » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:31 am

In 6.60 every download has a "per install" unique ID. Meaning it's pretty easy to know what status belongs to what download. It's pretty much of a redesign of the download list to reduce memory usage to a minimum. It gets rid of "Download List Loading" too. Meaning no matter how many downloads you have, there'll never be a wait for them to load.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support