Problem with file grouping in 6.52 and dumb NZB files

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Problem with file grouping in 6.52 and dumb NZB files

Postby bertgt » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:21 am

Hi,

I have a bizzare problem with the file grouping function. You can't remove a single file out of the grouping e.g a .nfo, .srr etc.

Say a dumb NZB file contains a RAR set and a videoabc.avi as a 10mb sample of the main file.
The RAR set (i.e. what's to be extracted) contains the filen videoabc.avi (300mb)
When Newsbin downloads all the contents and extracts the RAR, either the to-be-extracted file gets skipped because it's already on disk, or the 300mb extracted file gets overwritten by the 10mb sample file.
Due to the fact I can't remove the 10mb sample file, I can't see a way around this.

In options > Filename Options I have Auto Rename ticked. It doesn't seem to make any difference.

After reading viewtopic.php?f=43&t=36164 should I create a global filter to filter out .avi files? I am somewhat reluctant to do so because this may mess up future NZBs or skip any and all AVI files.

Help please!

Cheers
bertgt
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/22/11

Re: Problem with file grouping in 6.52 and dumb NZB files

Postby Quade » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:14 am

In the folder where the files unrar too, do you see a temp looking folder? Something like "UnR2FD_tmp" if so, could you look inside? I'm wondering if a copy of the larger file is still sitting in this folder after the unrar. If yes, then this should be an easy fix. If no, it'll take some thought.

You explanation is so good, I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm hoping the large file is sitting in the temp unrar folder, then I can just make sure to rename it before copying it into the final folder.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby bertgt » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:48 pm

Hi there Quade,

I know the folder you're talking about... but it ain't there anymore. What I might do is kick off one of the files again, do the bypass filters thing, let it download, and watch what happens when it finishes getting all the parts and see if the extraction process actually starts or not.

The RAR files are definitely removed in every case.

I should add - 3 of 22 "big files" survived. i.e. 19 were overwritten by the small sample file.

Thanks,
Bert

PS: I could PM you an NZB if you wanted to experiment with it.
bertgt
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby bertgt » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:34 am

Hi again,

First off, the three files that "survived" were because the smaller 10mb files were aptly named sample-videoabc.avi - which is what you expect when pulling down NZBs.

The remaining 21 files are in the rather unfortunate duplicate filename predicament. Here are three scenarios I've tried:

Case 1: Load NZB, queue, download, extracted to an un-rar path manually set by me (right click, assign UnRAR path...). There is no "UnRAR temp" folder as it gets extracted. Newsbin extracts it to where its told to, the file appears to extract fine (as the File Explorer window shows it growing) and then BOOM! It is overwritten by the dumb-named small sample file. :(
Case 2: Repeat load/download. RAR is extracted to the Un-rar path set in Options > Setup (first page) > Unrar Folder. Same behaviour as Case 1. The file extracts (no temp folder) to where Newsbin is told to extract it. BOOM! It is over-written by the stupid small sample file. :(

...because I have nothing better to do on a Friday night, I've unticked the Unrar folder option, and restarted newsbin, and re-loaded the NZB so it will extract to where the chunks are assembled into RARs...

Case 3: Load NZB, queue, download. RAR is extracted to an UnR3036_tmp folder, and gets stuck there as you hoped it would. :) Small sample file is sitting in the folder where the RAR set is assembled next to the PAR2, SFV etc files.

So it would appear that some sort of "does the file exist" logic is applied and gets stuck on the "rename duplicate files" bit during the UnRAR operation, but not on a general "move" operation for the non-RAR warts-and-all-leftovers from the NZB file (or PAR2 files list)

So..... thoughts? I at least have a workaround for the time being.

Cheers,
Bert
bertgt
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:01 pm

Not ignoring this. I'll have to go over it when I get a couple minutes free.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support