how to re-download?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

how to re-download?

Postby beany » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:51 pm

Hi, I want to restart a download that has already completed but is still in the download queue. Retry download does not work. How do I do this please without running the NZB again?
thanks
beany
Active Participant
Active Participant

Re: how to re-download?

Postby Quade » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:14 am

What's wrong with the file set? If you want to re-download it, removing and re-adding it is probably the best way. It won't re-download already assembled files. Instead it'll check them then continue downloading the rest.

You'll probably have to disable the duplicate detector in the advanced options.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby beany » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:03 am

Quade wrote:What's wrong with the file set? If you want to re-download it, removing and re-adding it is probably the best way. It won't re-download already assembled files. Instead it'll check them then continue downloading the rest.

You'll probably have to disable the duplicate detector in the advanced options.

Well its all been pete tong (wrong) for a while but I'm coping with it in my own little way Image link not allowed for unregistered users

I've commented before on files being left in the queue. Most used to download okay so it was just a matter of deleting them from the queue once checked. However I then started to get most of my files sticking with .nb2. You had mentioned AV maybe affecting it (i'm using bullguard) and you may be right but I haven't managed to trace it down to that or anything else yet.

As time isn't readily available to investigate, my process now is just to run a daily bulk filename changer on the download directory and remove all the .nb2s once the downloads have finished. That sorts it out for the most part.

It's no big deal just getting a bit more cumbersome to keep everything running smoothly. Really want to set and forget nowadays. Image link not allowed for unregistered users
beany
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:04 am

However I then started to get most of my files sticking with .nb2. You had mentioned AV maybe affecting it (i'm using bullguard) and you may be right but I haven't managed to trace it down to that or anything else yet.

What version are you using? In 6.51/2, files getting stuck in NB2 form is almost 100% V scanner. I'd suggest removing the V scanner, rebooting then trying some downloads. If they don't get stuck, try a different V scanner.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby beany » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:53 pm

Quade wrote:
However I then started to get most of my files sticking with .nb2. You had mentioned AV maybe affecting it (i'm using bullguard) and you may be right but I haven't managed to trace it down to that or anything else yet.

What version are you using? In 6.51/2, files getting stuck in NB2 form is almost 100% V scanner. I'd suggest removing the V scanner, rebooting then trying some downloads. If they don't get stuck, try a different V scanner.

6.51B4: 00 4A 94 0A B1 48
I'll fully check it out sometime. Thing is that bullguard (v scanner) is used on all 5 of my PCs and is paid up for next 3 years so not great if I have to swap it out. I should be able to work with them to resolve it though when I get the time to look at it proper. They are fairly helpful that way. I do have a scanning exception on the download folder now but that's obviously not good enough.

Thanks
beany
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:38 pm

6.51B4: 00 4A 94 0A B1 48

Your version is old. I'd use 6.52B1.

I'm simply suggesting an experiment at this point. You don't know what's causing it and it's sort of pointless to contact them unless you can confirm it's their software. That's why a remove, reboot, download, re-install would help. Ideally, you can find some setting to make it delay processing the download folder.

What happens when you get NB2's is that something is preventing Newsbin from renaming the file.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby beany » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:36 pm

Quade wrote:
I'm simply suggesting an experiment at this point. You don't know what's causing it and it's sort of pointless to contact them unless you can confirm it's their software. That's why a remove, reboot, download, re-install would help.

Tested and it did run okay once Bullguard was removed. Re-installed and found an area of Bullguard which modifies what is real-time scanned. I bypassed anything ending nb2.

This seems to have done the trick. The file is still scanned but only after renaming.

Thanks
beany
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:10 pm

Nice.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support