Newsbin system transfer

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Newsbin system transfer

Postby oblivion62 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:02 pm

I am -- slowly -- migrating my system from Vista to Win 8.1. (Comments about frying pans and fires have already been heard, thanks!) I've partitioned my hard disk into two chunks and the system cheerfully dual-boots into whichever of the two OSes I want to use.

Now: My Newsbin setup is working fine in Vista. If I want to transfer it, lock, stock, datafiles, config and barrel from there to Windows 8, can I do it just by picking up the folder from program files and the data from appdata and dropping them into equivalent places in the Windows 8 system, or is that just going to miss a bunch of important stuff?

If I need to do a proper reinstall in the Win8 environment, can I import the data and settings from the Vista setup, either by copying files or doing something helpful from inside the program? And if I go that route, will there be any problems with the secondary use of my license key?

Thanks!
oblivion62
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/29/11

Re: Newsbin system transfer

Postby Quade » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:20 pm

Copying them over should work.

You might need to hand edit the .NBI file if any of the drive letter or paths changed in the transition. Newsbin is pretty simple, copying should work. You will have to re-enter you registration key in the other version of Windows.

You might have to start if once, of it doesn't find your configuration file, exit, find you configuration file, right click it "Open With" and then pick Newsbin.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby dexter » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:11 pm

A procedure is also documented here:
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97