Missing Data Files

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Missing Data Files

Postby Mark Allie » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:37 pm

I started to install 6.52Beta over 6.51. I checked the box to move the Data files to a location other than the default location. I picked a spot. During the installation I was told I would have to manually move the existing data files. That sounded easy. After installation I found a new newsbin.nbi file in the new directory. Unfortunately I was unable to find my data files anywhere on my system. It is possible I don't remember where to look .I did a quick system (all hard drives) search for "chunk" and found no relevant files. I thought chunk was a good name to search for to find the data files. What other names can I search for to find my data files? I suspect they have disappeard.

Mark Allie
Mark Allie
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Missing Data Files

Postby Quade » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:02 pm

I'd probably search for "Downloads.db3". I'd make search look in "Hidden/System" files.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Mark Allie » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:03 pm

Never mind I found the info on changing the data files location in other older posts. Thanks for the help. I found the files with no help from the search engine. I copied them and successfully started newsbin 6.52B.. I happened to look at options and opened the data folder. It was still using the original location on the C drive even though I changed the data file location when I installed the beta version of newsbin. I search the for a registry entry that might point to the data location and found a few entries that specified .nbi files. The original one I don't want and the new one I want were both in the registry for V5. V6 had just s reference to the new one I want. I didn't find a reference to the directory in any (init) looking files in the program directory. The questions I have are can I change where newbin looks for the data files? Is newbin openning the data file directory from options based on the default setting even though it is using the new location? How and where does newsbin save the location of the data files? If I delete the files from the default location and leave them in the new desired location will I get into trouble or will it ask where they are if it can't find them and change the location where it looks?

Mark Allie
Mark Allie
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:56 pm

The data folder is stored inside the NBI file. The registry just tells Newsbin where to look for the NBI file it'll currently use.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support