Chunks folder

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Chunks folder

Postby mankind99uk » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:12 pm

I've upgraded to 6.51 from 6.42 and noticed that when a download completes the chunks are not always being deleted from this new common folder in the data folder.
At the moment I've got 105 MB of chunks left over from 8 downloads I've done today, it might not sound a lot but it will soon add up after a while.
Why aren't they being automatically deleted and can they be manually deleted?

I also seem to be having a problem with header downloads in some groups, in that I've deleted the stored posts, downloaded latest with download age set at 2 but nothing is showing up in the group list even though headers have been downloaded.
mankind99uk
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/18/04

Re: Chunks folder

Postby Quade » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:28 pm

1 - The chunks folder purges automatically when they get old enough. In fact, many temporary files in the data folder purge automatically like the sample folder.

2 - The global filter profiles always applies. You might want to look and see if there are any filters in there filtering the display. Look down at the "Cache" entry down on the status bar. If you see a number in parens (XX) this represents the number of header blocks still importing. Until it goes to zero, you won't see all the headers. There is a priority though, it'll import the currently displays tabs headers before any other headers.

I don't believe you had to purge headers between 6.42 and 6.51.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mankind99uk » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:38 am

How old do the chunks have to be and if they aren't needed any more why don't they get deleted straight away? It does seem odd that they just hang around with no purpose.
The Read Posts folder is another that never seems to purge.

I didn't realise that I had to wait for the number by the cache entry to go done to zero, I just tried one of the groups and the headers were there, so I think that's solved.

Newsbin has crashed twice in the last 2 minutes, once downloading headers and the other when I went to click the x in a group tab.
Not having much fun with the new version!!
mankind99uk
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:36 am

They're kept around in case you restart Newsbin. It saves re-downloading the first chunk and tells Newsbin it's recently downloaded files some of the files.

I think it's one day be default. Are you really running that short on disk space?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mankind99uk » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:22 pm

Quade wrote:They're kept around in case you restart Newsbin. It saves re-downloading the first chunk and tells Newsbin it's recently downloaded files some of the files.

I think it's one day be default. Are you really running that short on disk space?

One days fine, I thought the way you were explaining they hung around for a while.
As the Data folder is on an SSD drive I didn't want it to fill up to quickly!
mankind99uk
Active Participant
Active Participant

Return to V6 Technical Support