Best way to handle cryptic posts?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Best way to handle cryptic posts?

Postby mountainsoft » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:51 pm

What is the best way to handle the ever increasing posts with cryptic/random titles and file names?

I'm sure many of these have content I would be interested in, but I'm not going to download many gigabytes of data every day to see what's in each post. I wish there was a way to get a usable description without downloading the entire post.

For now I've tried to filter out posters who upload posts with cryptic descriptions. Unfortunately, many of these posters also use random user names so that approach doesn't always work well either.

Any tips?
mountainsoft
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/09/14

Re: Best way to handle cryptic posts?

Postby Quade » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:39 pm

I'm adding a probe function to probe these posts in 6.6. Some people sample them. I tend to just ignore them and download something else.

Our search engine already does some automated probing trying to figure out the content so, when you search, you'll see a real filename. Some file sets though, there's no way to know what's in there except to download and sample. Sampling doesn't work for all of them though because some randomize the file order. That type of obscure file set seems to be going away though.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support