Header/Thread lists Disappears...

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Header/Thread lists Disappears...

Postby hansolo77 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:39 pm

Hey all,
I'm experiencing a very weird problem with my Newsbin. I'm trying to access a group, which takes almost a day to download all the headers to. Once it's done, I try to sort the messages by Subject. Before I do the sort, I can see the messages. But once I click the Subject bar to sort, the list disappears and I can't get it back. If I close the group down and reopen it, the Subject list appears for like half a second then goes completely blank again. Is there something I did that caused this? How can I fix it? I've already tried going into the Data path /SPOOL_V6 and remove the entire contents of the group's name. That causes it to redownload the headers again. But once I try to sort again, the list is emptied. I don't want to redownload the headers a 3rd time if I can help it, it takes WAY to long.

Thanks for the help!

BTW, I'm a registered user of version 6.50 Build 3126 if that helps narrow down anything.
hansolo77
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/12/13

Re: Header/Thread lists Disappears...

Postby Quade » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:02 pm

1 - What's your "Storage Age" set to? If it's too short, Newsbin will wipe your newly downloaded headers.

2 - Do you have it set to "Hide Old"?

3 - Do you have anything in the global filter profile? It always applies.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby hansolo77 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:28 pm

As far as I know, nothing has changed. I was going through the list yesterday and downloading some NZB's for stuff. Then I went to try a different sort to see more from the same poster, and the program locked up (Not Responding). I had to force end the Task. When I brought it back up, the thread list was empty. I clicked to download the new headers, but it just showed them for half a second then they were gone. When I erased the group name in the SPOOL_V6 folder (the one db for this group is like 12gb) then redownloaded the headers, it displays them until I try to SORT them, then they all disappear again.

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm off from work the rest of the day and all of tomorrow, so I can continue to troubleshoot with whatever suggestions you might have. I'll try double-checking those things you mentioned, but I never use them so I'm not sure how they could have gotten changed.
hansolo77
n00b
n00b

Postby hansolo77 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:36 pm

Quade wrote:1 - What's your "Storage Age" set to? If it's too short, Newsbin will wipe your newly downloaded headers.

Storage age says 10,000. I tried changing it to 9999999999999 and it changed it back to 10,000
Download and Display ages are both at 4294967295

Quade wrote:2 - Do you have it set to "Hide Old"

Not sure how to do that. The only option I see is under Posts at the top, and with nothing displayed, clicking it does nothing (like, it doesn't toggle the Hide Old back off or something).

Quade wrote:3 - Do you have anything in the global filter profile? It always applies.

The filter is empty, and the boxes say Display Age and Display settings, not something like Show This Month, or Hide These, etc.

Btw, I did just try changing the Display Age from "Display Age" to "Show All Files" to see if would maybe, you know, show all files. But the program locked up on that again, forcing a manual End Task.
hansolo77
n00b
n00b

Postby hansolo77 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:59 pm

OK, not sure what I did, but rebooting the computer seems to have fixed it. At least for the time being. Maybe I was having some memory/storage issues. I dunno. It looks like its working now though, I was able to sort up and down and everything. Hopefully I won't be jinxing myself here. :)
hansolo77
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:32 pm

Storage age says 10,000. I tried changing it to 9999999999999 and it changed it back to 10,000
Download and Display ages are both at 4294967295

1 - Anything over 2000-2100 is a waste. Most servers don't have files out beyond 2000 days. Storing headers for files beyond 2100 days is pretty much just wasting space.

"Display age" is just the age of posts to show when you normally view (Show Posts/Double-click). Most people aren't wanting to see 2000 days worth every single time they open the group. It's slow and consumes a bunch of RAM. I have my display age set to 60. I can always call up more headers with "Show all" or "Load Special". Having 2000 days of posts loaded makes search and sorting much slower too.

2 - On the tab that display posts, there's a drop down that lets you spec "hide old" or "show files" or both.

3 - You have to go into the filter options too look in the global filter. It always applies.

I wonder if you're actually looking at headers or are using our search engine?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby hansolo77 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:13 pm

It's the headers... the program opens up to the group list (of which I have chosen from). Double-click the group, and it starts to load the group's threads from the disk, then download the latest and adds to it. This group (A.B.Blu-Ray) has over 300k threads. I'd say 90% are crap. But I just started browsing this group. Once I've went through the whole thing and gotten what I wanted, I typically mark all of them as read/old and delete them. That's how I used to do it YEARS (decade or more) ago. I'm just getting back into using USENET for binaries. I've been spending too much time doing torrents but my upload speed is for crap (at most 1.5mb/sec). I'd love to see a work flow video for "best practices". I was a user of a (dare I say) pirated version of Newsbin YEARS (decade or more again) ago, but used it sooo much that when I decided to start USNET again, I went ahead about bought a licensed copy. I figured I might as well since I'm also paying for a USENET subscription since our ISP doesn't offer them.

Anyway, whats the best workflow process? As it is right now, like I said, I download ALL threads, get what I want after spending 2-3 days looking through it all, then mark and delete old stuff.

Also... This group I mentioned is 90% crap. There is a TON of stuff that's not related to the group at all being posted by somebody named "antichrist@razor1911.ru (Razor1911 [random letters/numbers]" and stuff like that. I right clicked on one of the threads, selected Lockout poster, but it only created a filter for that specific [random letters/numbers] bit. I then right clicked and created a Lockout Poster Keyword using just the "anitchrist@razor1911.ru" bit. It found a lot more, but they still show up in my thread list, only with a red minus icon on the far left. What else do I need to do? Sorry this is all off-topic.
hansolo77
n00b
n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support