Downloading more files at once

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Downloading more files at once

Postby drake008 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:07 am

It seems that I cannot find an option that allows me to download not just file 1 but also file 2 and/or 3 at once.
Is there an option anywhere for this or can I somehow skip files which aren't there anymore (too old, error 430 or the other thing) so that the next file would be started immediately? I know there is an Option called Max Retries which I put down to 1 but it won't help much.
drake008
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Downloading more files at once

Postby itimpi » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:14 am

drake008 wrote:It seems that I cannot find an option that allows me to download not just file 1 but also file 2 and/or 3 at once.
Is there an option anywhere for this or can I somehow skip files which aren't there anymore (too old or the other thing) so that the next file would be started immediately? I know there is an Option called Max Retries which I put down to 1 but it won't help much.

There is no specific option for this, but Newsbin ties to always use all connections to maximise bandwidth usage so you should not need to tune anything.

If you are downloading single-part files then each file can be downloaded in parallel on its own connection. In such a case it is obvious in the GUI that multiple files are downloading at the same time.

If you are downloading multi-part files then each part will use its own connection. Therefore although you appear to be only downloading one file, multiple sections of it are downloading in parallel.

A light quirk on this is if you are using multi-part file sets which have accompanying PAR2 files and autounrar is active. In such a case the smallest PAR2 file is downloaded first and only when this has succeeded do other files in the set start downloading. This might mean that you see a small download from several file sets in parallel as the smallest PAr2 file is downloaded, but then Newsbin reverts to getting all the parts of the highest priority one once the PAr2 has been downloaded.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby drake008 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:19 am

Lets say I download a file with 20 rarfiles in it and I have another file with 20 rar files in it. Newsbin just downloads the first and after that the second one. Is there an option to have it download both at once so that when there is an 430 it won't take so long to get to the next file?
drake008
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby itimpi » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:17 am

drake008 wrote:Lets say I download a file with 20 rarfiles in it and I have another file with 20 rar files in it. Newsbin just downloads the first and after that the second one. Is there an option to have it download both at once so that when there is an 430 it won't take so long to get to the next file?

No - but a 430 should only take a split second. However each part within a rar file still needs to be tested for as just because one part is missing does not mean that the others will be. Also, I think that 430 errors may well not be retried. With multiple connections in parallel you should still get reasonable speeds. The exception to this is the case of a file set which has been removed (probably through DCMA) where Newsbin still has to work through all the parts (possibly thousands) - there is no workaround in such a case other than not queuing such items.

If what you are asking is if there is a way to check whether all the files that make up a set appear to be on the server(s), then you should use the "Test Download Files" option from a Post list before queuing it. Unfortunately this option is not (yet anyway) available from the Download list after you have queued the files.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby drake008 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:28 am

itimpi wrote:
drake008 wrote:Lets say I download a file with 20 rarfiles in it and I have another file with 20 rar files in it. Newsbin just downloads the first and after that the second one. Is there an option to have it download both at once so that when there is an 430 it won't take so long to get to the next file?

No - but a 430 should only take a split second. However each part within a rar file still needs to be tested for as just because one part is missing does not mean that the others will be. Also, I think that 430 errors may well not be retried. With multiple connections in parallel you should still get reasonable speeds. The exception to this is the case of a file set which has been removed (probably through DCMA) where Newsbin still has to work through all the parts (possibly thousands) - there is no workaround in such a case other than not queuing such items.

If what you are asking is if there is a way to check whether all the files that make up a set appear to be on the server(s), then you should use the "Test Download Files" option from a Post list before queuing it. Unfortunately this option is not (yet anyway) available from the Download list after you have queued the files.

OK for that. But for the DMCA stuff. Wouldn't it be doable to create a routine within newsbin that it sees DMCA or something similar, stops downloading this file and puts a message in the Failed Files tab?
drake008
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:59 am

OK for that. But for the DMCA stuff. Wouldn't it be doable to create a routine within newsbin that it sees DMCA or something similar, stops downloading this file and puts a message in the Failed Files tab?

It would have to be something like "If more than 10% of the file failed on all servers, abort the dowload" because PARS can mostly fix up to 10%. I'm thinking about implementing something like that in the future.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support