Non-Descriptive / Encrypted Filenames

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Non-Descriptive / Encrypted Filenames

Postby rappleby » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:00 pm

Hoping that some of you "Power Users" will give me some suggestions here:

There is a very prolific poster in a couple of the movie groups who has recently started posting what appear to be randomly generated filenames for his posts instead of the actual file/movie name. He posts hundreds of gigabytes a day (and often multiple versions (full BD, ISO, 1080p, 720p, etc.) of the same file and his posts are good quality but a good portion of them are German audio only. I used to be able to look at the filenames to decide which I would like to download but now they are non-descriptive. I tried ROT47 and ROT13 but no joy. The only thing I have been able to do is to download the first rar in the set and then use View Sample to see what the actual filename (VLC displays the actual filename at start of play). Since he posts multipart file sizes of approx 100MB, this results in a download of about 20GB a day and it is very labour intensive (not to mention potentially hearing from my ISP because of the bandwidth (and the View Sample (AFAIK) will not work unless you have at least one full RAR file so it can find a filename (and with ISO files, you can't preview unless you download the whole ISO)).

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I can automate the process (expanding rar sets (usually 40-50), downloading partxx1.rar from each set, previewing the file, checking for language and subtitle tracks, renaming those that may be of interest with the actual name + the cryptic filename for reference, etc) and then downloading those that I want? I was wondering, for example if there might be some way to pick up the filename in the same way that VLC does without downloading the whole rar?

Any suggestions (or script ideas) would be most welcome (particularly those that reduce the download bandwidth in order to get the filename). Thanks.
rappleby
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/05/04

Re: Non-Descriptive / Encrypted Filenames

Postby Quade » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:19 pm

I don't really have any good idea for this. They're posting this way to make it difficult for header download people to use these files. Typically the smallest file in the set of files in an NFO file. You could try reading that.

PM me an example and I'll check it out.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support