Can no longer access remote SMB shares on Win 8.1

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Can no longer access remote SMB shares on Win 8.1

Postby Cyber-Wizard » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:05 pm

I'm running Newsbin 6.42 Build 2148.

I've recently revamped all of my downloading. I use Newsbin for most things but when downloading TV shows and Movies I pass NZB files over to sabNZBd and Sickbeard for processing into XBMC. All of my media files reside on an unRAID box and I stash NZB's in a directory for sabNZBd to check and pull NZB's from. This has been working pretty swell right up until I decided to give Win 8.1 a go. When I try to access my SMB shares on my unRAID NAS I get a Network Error warning saying that Windows cannot access \\HOSTNAME\share. Strangely enough I can access the unRAID device itself and list all of the shares, I only get the error when I try to access the shares themselves.

What makes this extremely bizarre is that this only happens from within Newsbin and it's been working just fine until my Windows 8.1 upgrade. I can access all of my shares just fine from Windows Explorer
Cyber-Wizard
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/03/06

Re: Can no longer access remote SMB shares on Win 8.1

Postby Quade » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:03 am

Newsbin just uses regular explorer windows to display paths so, it suggests it might be a security software thing. I just told Newsbin to "Download to new folder" and then from the path picker selected an SMB path on another machine. Seems to work. Even repaired on this machine. The target machine was 8.1. I'm using 8.0 here.

So, I'm not sure what to tell you at this point. I think I'll have to wait for other reports.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Cyber-Wizard » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:42 pm

Spooky. It was working fine under 8.0 but stopped once I "upgraded" to 8.1. As silly as this sounds, it appears to be something to do with DNS lookups. The SMB shares I'm trying to access are on my unRAID (Linux) box and are accessible via Windows Explorer at \\HOSTNAME\SHARENAME or, of course, \\IPNUMBER\SHARENAME. I do have an internal DNS server, just for the sake of information. When I'm trying to save from Newsbin Pro, it shows my unRAID host in the Network list but when I click on the hostname Newsbin fails to access it. If I type \\IPNUMBER into the path picker from Newsbin, all of my shares appear and I can access them just fine.
Cyber-Wizard
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/03/06

Postby DThor » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:14 am

It's a known bug, fix due supposedly sometime this month. I'm sure this bug slipped out accidentally and is unrelated to the fact that smb runs on non-windows platforms. :-/

http://superuser.com/questions/667180/s ... -shared-by

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Return to V6 Technical Support