Partial files are failing...6.50B8

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Partial files are failing...6.50B8

Postby N3vergvnup » Sat May 18, 2013 11:47 am

Known bug? I've gone back to v 6.42 for now
N3vergvnup
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/27/11

Re: Partial files are failing...6.50B8

Postby Quade » Sat May 18, 2013 2:16 pm

Partial files that don't have PARS will fail to the failed list.

Partial files that have pars should assemble after retries expire and repair should be attempted (if at least 90% has downloaded and you seem to have enough pars).

It's not clear to me which one you're talking about.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Starrman » Sat May 18, 2013 3:41 pm

I'm having a different but what sounds related problem. Downloading and ancient post, 800+ days, and a few "reds" (chunks not found) in each file. I have removed the NZB download location $() option so it'll stop putting the downloads into name folders as opposed to the generic folder I had been using, but I found that all the incomplete files, were not there at all, whether in its unfinished format as previous, or when I went back and told it to download again, it filled in all the already done chunks (no idea where its hiding the file now (in the past I could rename the incomplete filename to what it was supposed to be in order for a par program to attempt a fix) and when I told it to assemble incompletes, it just vanishes, never appearing in the download area. Also when I shut to path for nzb so as to just use the download path, I found that some of these files, but not all DID "assemble incomplete" but were now in allcaps, and of course the par program didn't see them, so they are still "gone" for all intents and purposes. Being a large fileset, and with its lots of missing parts and its age, I'll probably stop as the odds are it'll not quite make its needed par numbers regardless, but this has been odd behavior. On the other hand, everything else has downloaded correctly, so this might be as seen on another thread, something a little more odd on their end, being the only download this has happened with so far.

Another couple of beta issues.... the program is NOT in a folder, but in the root of Program Files (x86) (I changed no paths on install) and Malwarebytes Quarantined par2repair64.dll.
Starrman
n00b
n00b

Postby N3vergvnup » Sat May 18, 2013 3:54 pm

Quade wrote:Partial files that don't have PARS will fail to the failed list.

Thats a great feature when using autoPAR, but I'm not. (Will probably enable that once I upgrade computers)

Partial files that have pars should assemble after retries expire and repair should be attempted (if at least 90% has downloaded and you seem to have enough pars).

This is where its failing. Since I have autoPAR disabled, the file downloads whats there, then fails if its incomplete instead of assembling what it does get.
N3vergvnup
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/27/11

Postby Quade » Sat May 18, 2013 4:53 pm

You could turn on autopar but, turn off unrar.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Quade » Sat May 18, 2013 4:57 pm

I have removed the NZB download location $() option so it'll stop putting the downloads into name folders as opposed to the generic folder I had been using, but I found that all the incomplete files, were not there at all, whether in its unfinished format as previous, or when I went back and told it to download again, it filled in all the already done chunks (no idea where its hiding the file now (in the past I could rename the incomplete filename to what it was supposed to be in order for a par program to attempt a fix)

1 - Chunks folder in the data folder and in RAM.

2 - I use assemble incompletes frequently and it seems to assemble them with no issue. Might want to try again.

Moving folders around mid-download (which is what it sounds like you did) is a bad idea. You'll need to manually copy the files into the same location to run quickpar on them. I believe Newsbin can repair them if they're in different folder but, I'm pretty sure I haven't tested it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Starrman » Sun May 19, 2013 2:05 am

I made sure nothing was in separate folder ( the new named folder and the old specified download folder) and yes the par program will fix them when they are all together (if there are enough pars of course), now possibly because of the mid download change , not all "assemble incompletes' ended up tin the ocrrect place, but as mentioned, the ones that made it, were now in allcaps, and the ones that didn't, were nowhere to be found (didn't seem to be in chunks as there didn't seem to be that many chunk files in there to match the size) but a re-download of the missing file did pop in gray except for the bad parts, but again didn't go to the download folder...Odd behavior...
Starrman
n00b
n00b

Postby DThor » Sun May 19, 2013 9:19 am

I almost missed the comment about your installation location and the quarantined file. I wouldn't even think about anything else until I got that sorted. Your anti - malware program is interfering with a successful install. That file is completely legit and your installation path sounds pooched. I'd uninstall, disable that thing, and install the program again - it's only going to cause you grief down the road.

The all caps files are just rar files that need a repair - sounds normal for a download in progress.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Sun May 19, 2013 9:27 am

Another couple of beta issues.... the program is NOT in a folder, but in the root of Program Files (x86) (I changed no paths on install) and Malwarebytes Quarantined par2repair64.dll.

I missed this too. Repair simply won't work without that file.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Starrman » Sun May 19, 2013 9:56 pm

repaired the Par file immediately, but I will adjust the bolluxed install, can't really tell if it was THIS time, or an earlier update, as some of the file dates there are older... Just had the assembles vanish again and that on a more recent file...will experiment some more...
Starrman
n00b
n00b

Postby Starrman » Sun May 19, 2013 11:26 pm

Had to go away for a bit. In this particular download, found three failed files whose error said it ran out of retries. Had to select them from there and have it download without filters, and when I saw it had chunk errors in the download list, had it assemble incompletes on them, which it did, and they did show up in the download folder in CAPS version, but as it was now within parameters, it did do a par fix and unrar. Still haven't reinstalled to see if maybe that will fix the oddities from happening once its in its correct folder location.
Starrman
n00b
n00b

Postby DThor » Mon May 20, 2013 7:57 am

Like I said, until you clean house it's impossible to say what's meaningful in your description. I would completely uninstall and manually remove those errant files, reboot, then do a clean install. AFAIK newsbin looks specifically in the install directory for dlls, but who knows?

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Return to V6 Technical Support