Stuttering downloads

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Stuttering downloads

Postby Vertigo1 » Fri May 17, 2013 1:19 pm

Having a weird issue. I noticed that, when downloading, my overall speed would burst up to max, then drop back down to zero, then up again and repeat like this forever.

Looking at the connections, it seems that each individual download completes, then says "Done" against the connection, then sits there for a while before starting to download again. It's this lag between downloads that's causing the overall speed to drop.

I can't figure out why this might be, it never used to do it. I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with my connection or servers as I'm using two different servers and it does it on both yet using other software with the same servers doesn't show the same issue.

Anyone got any ideas?
Vertigo1
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Stuttering downloads

Postby Quade » Fri May 17, 2013 2:24 pm

Down in the status bar where is says "Cache" what are the numbers? X/Y. If X = 0, that means Newsbin doesn't have any place to put the downloads. So, it'll stall till some space free's up. This can happen if the disk drive is busy or real slow. Importing headers will slow down diskIO too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Vertigo1 » Fri May 17, 2013 2:31 pm

Aha - thanks for the tip. You're right, the X value starts off ok then descends to zero, which is when the downloads stop.

Not sure why this is happening though. The disk in question is a Caviar Black so decent performance and isn't short of space. Some of the groups I have configured do have a very large number of headers though.
Vertigo1
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Fri May 17, 2013 3:02 pm

Do you have it set to unrar and download simultaneously? Fragmentation might impact this too. If it's downloading and unraring/repairing at the same time, you're working the disk pretty hard.

Might want to make any V scanners/Firewalls ignore the data folder too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Vertigo1 » Fri May 17, 2013 4:07 pm

Ah right - I think it must have been the AV bogging it down as I excluded the data directory and it's purring along at full speed now.

Many thanks for your help Image link not allowed for unregistered users
Vertigo1
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support