Assign new path?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Assign new path?

Postby Quasi » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:52 am

After adding files to the wish list, selecting "Assign a New Path" and moving the files to the download folder, the files are not being moved to the new file location I assigned. While in the wish list tab, after changing the path it does update on the screen. When I click on the "Add to download list" arrow the files are moved to the download list and show the updated path...but the files don't show up in the updated file path destination...they show up in the Newsbin default download folder.

One other thing as well. Sometimes when I move a file from the wish list to the download list, while I already have items downloading previously, it will cause the program to cease downloading whatever it had been. Also when I try to delete or add anything after it causes the downloads to cease, it will freeze the program altogether.

While I've loved Newsbin for years and have never had any issues with it, I have to say that this build (6.42-Build 2148) has been a real pain in the ass with the way it freezes at odd times. Once it chooses to freeze, it's frustrating trying to get it to not freeze up again when restarting it. That's where much of the frustration lies.

** I now have a file in the "Failed Files" that I can't delete. Each time I try to remove it, it freezes the program.
Quasi
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/02/04

Re: Assign new path?

Postby DThor » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:15 am

Hmm, sounds like something got corrupted. With newsbin shut down, try renaming the downloads.db3 file in the data folder. This will, I believe with that version, empty out the wish list and anything currently in the queue, then try to manipulate a bunch of new files the way you describe and see if it still does the same. You can go back to the old file, but now I think about it, you might want to save the contents of the wish list into some nzb files before you do anything, that way you can just move forward and add them back in.

Nonetheless, if you get the same behaviour with fresh files, might be a bug, just make sure you're reporting exactly how you can reproduce it. Older versions aren't likely to get patched, but it really sounds more like a corrupted file.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:02 am

Curious what you're doing when it stalls. Is it always manipulating the download and wish lists?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Quasi » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:42 pm

I've deleted the downloads.db3 files before and still continue to have issues. I'm almost to the point where I want to uninstall this version and do a completely new install. It does act like a corruption thing, almost like a memory/communication timing out but I'm not a software programmer so I don't know.
I deleted the downloads.db3, created a new wish list and then went through the list assigning new paths to certain files. So far they're showing up in the correct places.

It seems the freeze happen when manipulating the download list, the wish list and the failed files. It seems like anytime there is a problem with the file that is being manipulated, it causes the freeze. I've left Newsbin in the background before, when it showed the "Not Responding", for up to half an hour just to see if it was something in the program that was still trying to finish a task but it stayed frozen the entire time.

One other thing I noticed is that lately when I start to download a file it will queue up in the download list but will not attempt to download. I have to restart the program. And just now I started Newsbin and it opened with 2 files showing in the download list yet nothing is happening. They're not paused but they're not downloading. Even when I hit "Retry" or "Resume" nothing happens....

If you do get a freeze and restart the program it will freeze again if you can't delete whatever file that caused it, fast enough after the MoTD is closed.
Quasi
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:28 pm

Is this XP? I was getting some other reports of weirdness and it seemed to centered around XP users.

The next beta will change how the download list works. Currently deletes are done in real time so, when you're moving things around you get deletes and adds to the download list DB. In the next rev, the deletes happen when you start Newsbin and only the file order is set when you exit.

I made the change to reduce the number of Worker threads Newsbin has. The more workers, the more chances for weird problems so, I'm on a mission to simplify the internals. I suspect android will work better with fewer threads too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Quasi » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:55 pm

Now that you mention that I do have 6 fill servers on top of a Gigabyte Diamond acct...so I have roughly 110 connections. I wonder if that has something to do with it as well. When I run into this again I'll kill the servers to see if that does anything.

With the Assign path issue, do you think it was just the downloads.db3 being corrupted that made the files download to the default directory?

Thanks guys!

** oh forgot....I'm using Win7 64bit, 16gb Ram, i5-2500K, 2tb/2tb/3tb drives.
Quasi
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:19 pm

Now that you mention that I do have 6 fill servers on top of a Gigabyte Diamond acct...so I have roughly 110 connections. I wonder if that has something to do with it as well. When I run into this again I'll kill the servers to see if that does anything.

I suppose pushing everything to the absolute limit might have something to do with weird issues....

I'd do 10 connections on the main server and 5 on each of the fills.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support