Serious Business — Action Needed

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Serious Business — Action Needed

Postby andy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:12 am

Those of you who pay attention to the scene have noticed that PAR files, let alone a decent 10-20% PAR files, are almost nonexistent.

Now the norm is spyware, malwaare, gatesware, solid wall-to-wall malware.

It is almost always sitting there with NO PAR FILES.

You softwaare geniuses on Mount Elbonia have implemented a very fine set of warnings about encrypted files, and one big chunky hiding in another. Very fine, indeed. NOW it's time for a much needed filtering assist, something to do with the "Status" column in the search. I need a quick flag to either color the offending entries bright red, or filter them out/in easily — I need a "NO PARS" warning.that will help me sort through the garbage. If you sort through even close to 5% as many files as I do then you know what I mean.

Quade, please don't sick your "nay" puppy on me about this. It's time you implemented this feature.
andy
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/04/03

Re: Serious Business — Action Needed

Postby Quade » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:36 am

I load up a listing. I look at the icon and if it's got a P, it's got pars. If it doesn't have a P, it doesn't have pars. That's not enough?

For some bizarro reason some of the posting people have switched to "REV" files instead of PARs. They can be used to repair files too. Just something to keep in mind.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Serious Business — Action Needed

Postby andy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:04 pm

Thanks for teaching me something new. The size of those "icons" is so small I'd never hauled out my magnifying glass and examined one.
andy
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/04/03

Return to V6 Technical Support