Collapsed Download Path, File Options Failure

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Collapsed Download Path, File Options Failure

Postby ssbn » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:36 pm

v6.42 64-bit / Win 7 Home Prem

I'm having issues segregating downloads that have similar directory structures-- e.g. DVD's download to the same D:\Video_TS folder.

Setting the "UnRAR Folder:" parameter under Setup/Basic Setting has no effect. Files still appear in the same directory structure as that identified in "Main Download Folder."

Perhaps the most frustrating of all is that-- the right-click-menu "Move" command doesn't work from the Files List tab. None of those functions work, in fact.

Also, the timestamps are all the same! At least until I 'look' at the Files List tab-- then the file timestamps correctly to that last point (of interaction.) This means I can't sort, then move by timestamp.

What this problem amounts to, is that I have to throwaway hundreds of gigs of downloads just because uploaders may not specify a unique filename.

I've tried this on several machines; the behavior is the same.

Please help. TIA
ssbn
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/10/03

Re: Collapsed Download Path, File Options Failure

Postby Quade » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:30 am

I wonder if you're running into the issue that things in the download list already have the path assigned? That means changes to the download path options don't impact things already in the download list. I suspect that's what's happening to you.

How about trying this:

1 - Hit the main pause button.

2 - Uncheck "Use UNRar Path"

2 - Set the download path to:

Bla:\DL\$(SUBJECT)\

Using the "Edit" button next to the download path.

3 - Add one new set of files to the download list and look at the path set for it in the download list tab.

It should be "<Download Path>\Real subject\"

If that works, you could do the same thing but, this time setting the UnRAR path.

If you use NZB Files, you might want to try "<Download Path>\$(NZBFILE)\" which will include the NZB Filename in the path.

How are you adding files to the download list, Search, NZB Autoload or headers? There are almost too many ways to set the download path. I wonder if you're missing one you set already and it's over-riding the other options. For instance "NZB Autoload" can set the download path for NZB's that are autoloaded.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby ssbn » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:01 am

Quade,

I originally thought what I will call the 'static-state' of the path variable as being the issue. I did (once again) attempt to add downloads after setting the main download folder and UNRAR folder per your instructions. This behavior was predicted and does work, with the "Main Download folder:" field only; it does not seem to work for the UnRAR Folder:. Regardless of what I have set in the UnRAR Folder setting it will actually unrar only in the path previously set in the "Main Download folder." I only use the search function to add files to download.

Any clue as to why the timestamps remain static as well? It seems like it will timestamp all files with the exact same stamp, based on the last moment I interacted with Newsbin as an App. I find that behavior most odd.

Also, I could easily recover from the issues above if only the right-click and move options worked in the Files List tab... could this be a Windows permissions issue?

Thank you for a great product!
Sincerely,
-SSBN.
ssbn
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:57 am

Are they actually unraring?

You know, in windows every file has 3 timestamps right? You could probably enable some of the other timestamps in explorer and see which files landed first. Do the move that way.

The unrar by default I believe sets the timestamp that's defined in the RAR file instead of the download time..
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby ssbn » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:31 am

The timestamps are all the same. They are effectively un-sortable. Once again, multiple file structures are collapsed into one directory, with many -(000x) suffixes added to the files.

Can you address the fact that the right-click-MOVE or *whatever* commands on the Files List tab don't work either? This would be the preferred method of dealing with this problem, either way.

This problem reduces the value proposition of this otherwise great product greatly.

Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

-SSBN
ssbn
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:29 am

The timestamps are all the same. They are effectively un-sortable. Once again, multiple file structures are collapsed into one directory, with many -(000x) suffixes added to the files.

I'm skeptical that you went into windows explorer, right clicked the column headers and selected "More" then added "Date Modified" "Date Created" and "Date Last Saved" and that all the dates are the same. Particularly the "Date Created" and "Date Modified" columns.

Apparently Move is broken in 6.42.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby ssbn » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:27 am

Quade--

I believe I have solved this (my) problem. From what I can tell-- manually typing in options into either the "Download folder for downloads from NZB Files" or "UnRAR Folder," instead of using the Add (Ins) button causes the UnRAR engine to improperly save its resultant files, at least in trying to use those variables. I'm sure I validated the syntax I used multiple times; however, it apparently wasn't setting properly. I don't see how this could possibly be related to the actual file attributes assigned to its product files, however by clearing these variables, the resultant files now have the correct timestamps.

By stopping newsbin, deleting those fields, restarting Newsbin, adding those strings via the Add (Ins) button, then re-adding all those downloads, does everything now work.

I'll try experimenting further to see if I can reproduce these results. Can you point me to where these $ variables are stored?

Thank you for your support.
ssbn
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:55 am

That's good to hear.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b