Loss of data and headers

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Loss of data and headers

Postby probe47 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:37 pm

This has occurred to me approximately 5 times in the last 2 years and it is a pain to correct. I use Newsbin on a daily basis but sometimes when I open the program everything from the program (groups, headers, servers, etc.) is wiped out. I have to enter my server info, enter the groups I want to subscribe to and then start the tedious task of downloaded the headers from the start of time to get current again which takes forever. My questions are: Why does this happen?, How can I prevent it? Are there files I can regularly copy and backup to another folder to recoup my info? Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA
probe47
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/21/10

Re: Loss of data and headers

Postby Quade » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:56 pm

1 - Newsbin knows where the NBI file is from a pointer in the registry. If this pointer gets cleaned out. Newsbin will revert to the default configuration.

2 - The configuration file is a small text file typically in the data folder that ends in NBI. It's easy to make a backup copy just in case. If you lose the configuration, you just need to copy the backup back into the data folder and double-click it (with Newsbin not running).

3 - Current versions of Newsbin store their own backups of the configuration. Look in the options menu "Load Backup configuration on Restart".
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support