How to download headers per day and not by amount?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

How to download headers per day and not by amount?

Postby mdelig00 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:41 am

I have a group of groups. Each group has a different amount of total headers. I need to know how to download new headers back x amount of days. Not just how many. Since one group can have 8,000,000 headers and one group have 125,000, downloading header amounts is not feasible, so I would rather download "X" amount of days then "X" amount of headers. Make sense right? Does Newbin Pro have this capability? Right now all I see is just how many headers to download and not how far back I need to go. Also the option to "update all groups", what is the default on what that downloads and are you able to change that setting?

Sorry for all the weird questions, but I just start using NewsBin Pro a few days ago and it has a lot of options. Thanks.
mdelig00
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/29/12

Re: How to download headers per day and not by amount?

Postby Quade » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:37 am

That's how 6.XX series works, number of days instead of number of posts. This question suggests you're not running a current version.

Right clicking the groups selecting "Post Storage/Use Download Age" is how you can reset the groups to use the "Download Age". Setting the download age to some number of days determines how far back it goes.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mdelig00 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:12 pm

I'm using the latest version. If right click on a group it also says download latest with the selection of numbers and not days. So it does get confusing since there are multiple options in different areas that do different things. I have yet to download all the headers I want in 3 days. Things keep timing out. For testing, I used another program that also downloads headers. That program also can download compressed headers too. The timeout issue didn't present itself with that program when downloading the headers. So I'm still trying to iron out the very basic operations.

Also, if I go into options into BASIC area, there I can set a number of days to download headers for new groups. When is that setting applied? Does the download xxxx headers over selection give way to that option? What I'm trying NOT to do is reset my headers since it takes so long to download them and by accident I've reset them twice already with no warnings.
Thanks.
mdelig00
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby mdelig00 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:28 pm

Quade wrote:That's how 6.XX series works, number of days instead of number of posts. This question suggests you're not running a current version.

Right clicking the groups selecting "Post Storage/Use Download Age" is how you can reset the groups to use the "Download Age". Setting the download age to some number of days determines how far back it goes.

Where do you actually set that download age? When I make that selection it just says do you want to reset the download age. Doesn't give you an option on how many days to set. Also when you select UPDATE GROUPS what settings/control is that using to download how many days worth?
mdelig00
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:29 pm

Open up the options window, it's on the first page you see there.

Say you download 100 days worth and you want to go back farther in time. That's when you could use the "Download next X headers". It's for going backwards in time. I never use them myself, I set the download age to something longer, reset the group and do a download latest.

1 - You add a new group. First time you "Download latest" on this group, it uses "Download Age".

2 - Next time you download headers for this group, it notices you've already done so once and uses the record of the last download to know what to download this time. Basically it fills in the headers from the last time you updated to current time.

3 - "Use Download Age" in the right click menu makes Newsbin forget what it downloaded last, it's like adding a new group but, it doesn't delete the existing headers.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby mdelig00 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:36 pm

Quade wrote:Open up the options window, it's on the first page you see there.

Say you download 100 days worth and you want to go back farther in time. That's when you could use the "Download next X headers". It's for going backwards in time. I never use them myself, I set the download age to something longer, reset the group and do a download latest.

1 - You add a new group. First time you "Download latest" on this group, it uses "Download Age".

2 - Next time you download headers for this group, it notices you've already done so once and uses the record of the last download to know what to download this time. Basically it fills in the headers from the last time you updated to current time.

3 - "Use Download Age" in the right click menu makes Newsbin forget what it downloaded last, it's like adding a new group but, it doesn't delete the existing headers.

Ok, got it. I wasn't sure that option set in the first page of basic options was for the others. I'm just not able to download all the binary headers since there is too much. Also, taking care of 300+ GB of space just for headers isn't very nice to a medium powered computer. This is where the Internet search comes in handy. You really need a powerful, fast machine to index over 1000 days of binaries to run smoothly.
mdelig00
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:11 pm

The headers don't all get packed into a single DB. It's a DB per group so, just because you have 30 gigs of headers in one group, that doesn't prevent a smaller group from being fast.

Really "Display Age" which controls how much data you see when you load the group and the ability to load the groups one month at a time, means even low end machines can still process the large groups. It'll just be slower than a high end machine.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby mdelig00 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:05 am

Quade wrote:The headers don't all get packed into a single DB. It's a DB per group so, just because you have 30 gigs of headers in one group, that doesn't prevent a smaller group from being fast.

Really "Display Age" which controls how much data you see when you load the group and the ability to load the groups one month at a time, means even low end machines can still process the large groups. It'll just be slower than a high end machine.

I've given up right now on trying to get all headers. Every time I've tried it hasn't worked out to well. I do have a very fast computer I can install Newsbin Pro on.
Intel 3930k 12 core processor
32GB of high speed ram
SSD drives
the works.

Can you run the Newsbin client from multiple places using the same data folder? Just one instance of the client would be running at a time.
mdelig00
Active Participant
Active Participant

Return to V6 Technical Support