Connection Error - The server rejected your login

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Connection Error - The server rejected your login

Postby aussiedean » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:36 pm

Hi there,

Having an issue with a relatives connection lately , brings up this error log on multiple occasions. The file does continue to download though. I have disabled the pop up for now but was wondering why it does it. We use usenetserver as you can see ...have tried SSL connection as well as standard port with 10 and 20 connections same login as always and usenetserver have confirmed account is active

ERROR NNTPSocket - NNTP Perform Auth - news.usenetserver.com-The server rejected your login - contact your news service's support department. It's not a Problem with Newsbin : 502 Too many connections.

As stated in the error log it states its not a problem with Newsbin but Usenetserver claim everything is ok with the account so am not sure. Also if using SSL should I be opening the port on the ADSL modem at all?

Kind Regards
aussiedean
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/12/10

Re: Connection Error - The server rejected your login

Postby Quade » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:01 pm

How many connections do you have Newsbin set to use? Set it to 10, exit. Let it sit for 15 minutes then try again.

If the two of you are trying to use the same account at the same time, you'll see stuff like this. Sharing Usenet accounts doesn't really work.

This error message is coming right from the server so, the server thinks you have too many connections.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby aussiedean » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:03 pm

All details are up to date and the latest month has been paid for just days ago ... Just found this post viewtopic.php?f=43&t=30298 but will confirm with the user all details are correct.
aussiedean
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby aussiedean » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:05 pm

Thanks Quade, I have my own connection on a different provider and there is only her that is using that account in that house. I have set it to 10 connections so will see how it goes. Also should I be opening any of the ports that Newsbin uses?
aussiedean
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:08 pm

Typically no open ports are needed. Newsbin is like a web browser, it just talks to the news server. No connections from outside are made to the PC.

You see this sometimes if you're on WIFI because connections can fail too quickly for the server to keep track of. It'll sometimes think you have more connections than you really do. That's one reason to run fewer connections than max, to leave some buffer room for disconnects.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby aussiedean » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:38 pm

Thanks Quade I have dropped to 10 connections ...she is hard wired to the modem/router so will monitor it over the coming days. Thanks for the input
aussiedean
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support