Newsbin causing connection to not be recognised

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Newsbin causing connection to not be recognised

Postby teech » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:10 am

Hi

Hope you can help. The problem appears to be with the cache .

Symptoms;
Newsbin works fine until I download about 10GB
Then Newsbin continues to work but my LAN connection is no longer recognised by my PC and unable to use any browser (tried IE Chrome and Firefox)
DU Meter no longer recognises connection.(Odd that Newsbin continues to download)
Restarting my PC sets everything back to normal until I reach about 10GB download again. Also closing newsbin or deleting downloading files enables browser to sart working again.

Running Win 7 (home premium) and version 6.40 (though this problem also with earlier versions.

Many Thanks

Teech
teech
n00b
n00b

Re: Newsbin causing connection to not be recognised

Postby DThor » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:52 am

Because of the OS design, newsbin can't possibly directly cause the connection to break, it simply doesn't have the permission to interfere with it directly. It asks the OS for something, it responds back with the results. Newsbin can't somehow demand the entire network connection and lock out everything else. It might demand a *lot*, but all it can do is ask for things, like every other application.

Now, having said that, it is possible that newsbin can cause enough stress on your network infrastructure to make it break indirectly - for example if you're pushing hard over a wifi connection, your router simply may not be able to handle that and resets/locks up. The deleting of downloaded files having any impact at all on whether your browser works sounds dubious, I must say. Same with newsbin continuing to work but the network is broken(unless you just mean it's injecting already-downloaded headers into the database). All in all there's too many conflicting sounding symptoms here, I think one step at a time is useful.

Overall, it sounds like something in the network, or perhaps on your system, is fragile or broken. Things to try:

1. My favourite and constant mantra: completely disable any and all 3rd party antivirus or firewall and see if that makes a difference. AVs are insidious.

2. Don't download over wifi(you don't mention, or I missed it)

3. Try bypassing your router(not always possible). It might be having a problem when network stress gets high.

4. Try running with just a couple of connections - the point being to see if it's the speed that's related to the problem.

5. When a problem consistently happens after a certain volume is downloaded, that sometimes can be related to your ISP. They cap you after a certain initial volume. Not my first guess - this is highly unlikely to cause a network *crash*, but the volume before a problem thing might be a clue.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby teech » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:54 am

Hi many thanks for your reply, please let me clarify and maybe pick your brain to enable me to try and fix this annoying problem.

I am using a wired connection with about 60mbs throughput. My router seems fine even after the network card is not recognised (I still have wireless connections on my tablet, phone etc.)

I have tried disabling my virus and firewall application but the problem is still there.

I can state for definite that newsbin continues to download new files even though I am unable to access the internet through any browser (i have checked this many times as I find it extremely odd and that is why i thought poss. erroneously that newsbin could be at fault).

The only way I have found to access internet thru browser is to restart the PC.

I cannot bypass the router unforunately.

I tried with just a couple of connections but the problem is still there after about 10GB of download.

I am on unlimited usage from my ISP and indeed Newsbin continues to work.

I have replaced the onboard Network Adapter with a PCIe adapter card but the same problem exists.

The adapter is a Realtec GBE family controller (at least that is what it says in device manager) BTW i have disabled the power management of the card)

Regards
teech
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:15 am

I have tried disabling my virus and firewall application but the problem is still there.

I'd probably remove them both, as a test, reboot, then try some downloads. This smells like an internal memory leak in the firewall. If it's the MS virus scanner it's not likely to be the problem. If this solves the problem. You might want to use the MS firewall or see if yours is updated.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby teech » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:54 am

Hi have just finished downloading with no firewall and virus protection but problem still there.

Regards
teech
n00b
n00b

Postby teech » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:57 am

Hi

Just to keep you updated have uninstalled my virus programme (and firewall) rather than just disabling them. Downloaded AVG free and use Windows firewall and all seems to be fine (cross fingers).
Many thanks for your tip about the firewall which would never have occured to a novice such as myself.
Will let you know in a day or two whether still okay.
Many thanks again.
teech
n00b
n00b

Postby DThor » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:27 am

Good to hear. Out of curiosity, what was the AV? It's useful to know the particularly gruesome troublemakers... It's rarely the firewall, but some packages bundle them together. Btw, Microsoft Security Essentials is free and has a pretty good track record wrt staying out of your way.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:59 am

Yeah this is great. I wasn't expecting it to end well.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support