New logging option

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

New logging option

Postby nbwul62 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:58 am

When I want to download some bigger files, like dvd's or episodes, I usely leave NB running overnight.
However, I would like to know how much time NB will require to download those files, so I know how many NZB's
I can start in order that NB will be ready when I get up the next day.
Obviously, NB does not know the speed in advance, but afterwards it might show the elapsed time between
login and logout?
So that will give some idea about the avg. download speed for the future.
Alternatively if the speed could be set in the options, then based on that speed, NB might calculate the
approx. time required.

Currently the statusbar shows 'Data downloaded this session', not the start and end of download.
Vainly tried to figure this out in the log file: there is so much data there, donot know what to look for..
i.e. the login and logout command.

In short, would it not be an enhancement to also show the 'connect-time' in the statusbar?

TIA
=
nbwul62
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/18/03

Re: New logging option

Postby gkar » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:02 am

If im understanding what youre after then newbin can do this already. If you highlight the files in the download list you want to know a download time for, then start the download(so NB knows what speed youre downloading at). Look at the far right of the status bar, you should see a total data size and estimated time for the highlighted files. If you cant see this, then right click the status bar and make sure the last option is ticked.
gkar
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/27/12

Postby nbwul62 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:13 am

Thanks!

Must confess, I did not know that... :oops:
Will give it a try later (this evening). Usually my downloads are single nzb-posts with ... part001, part002 etc. files.
Let's see how it handles, say, multiple nzb sets (nzb), e.g. when queueing 4 nzb's. Curious to know what time it will display, i.e. total of all 4 ?
Thanks again.

p.s.
Still, I hope, one day in future, there will be another box in the status bar, showing the elapsed time between start and finish of the download.

=
nbwul62
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/18/03

Postby gkar » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:45 am

just don't expand you're files and you should see an accurate estimate(as long as you're speed is consistent)
gkar
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/27/12

Return to V6 Technical Support